• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Shops for setup in South Jersey

extract

Hi all. First time poster here. Can anyone recommend a good shop to do a quality setup on an custom shop r9? Thank you very much for the help. Jason

kevinkjs

Obviously it's your call to take your guitar in for set up. With all the info on the internet and youtube out there you could easily
do your own set ups quite easily. All string & pickup heights will be explained and how to set your neck straightness by using the
truss rod. you also can adjust playing action and things specifically to your preference. At least look up a few "les paul set up"
videos on youtube to see what's involved. You'll have a real understanding of what really makes a guitar play well and sound great.
A music shop will most likely give you a standard set up to "factory specs" which you may not entirely like. If you'd rather just
take it to someone at least give them some suggestions as to whether you like high or low string action. Good luck and I hope
you get your guitar set up nicely whichever route you take.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Hi all. First time poster here. Can anyone recommend a good shop to do a quality setup on an custom shop r9? Thank you very much for the help. Jason

I grew up in South Jersey; while I don't know which luthiers are still there, that dense region covers a lot of territory. How much are you willing to travel? And unlike the previous poster, I can certainly understand wanting a pro to set-up my instrument rather than do it myself. The luthier I go to in Fort Worth is infinitely more skilled at repairing instruments than I am.

extract

Thank you both for replying. Honestly, I have watched some YouTube videos in setup and adjustments and I would feel more comfortable with a pro doing the work. I’m willing to travel a good bit to have quality work done. Again, I appreciate you both for getting back to me.

kevinkjs

Well, I am the "previous poster" that suggested getting into doing your own guitar "set-ups" and repairs. Did you mention you'd rather
have a "PRO" do the work? Really?, do you think there's some kind of musical Svengali in a back room somewhere? The requirement to
work in most music shops "set-up & repair" departments are a high school diploma/ no experience necessary. Apparently the finer elements
to understanding and enjoying a musical instrument still elude you. That's a shame. God bless

extract

That stung a little. I found a luthier. Also, nothing wrong with a high school diploma and no experience. We all start somewhere.

Jason

Well, I am the "previous poster" that suggested getting into doing your own guitar "set-ups" and repairs. Did you mention you'd rather
have a "PRO" do the work? Really?, do you think there's some kind of musical Svengali in a back room somewhere? The requirement to
work in most music shops "set-up & repair" departments are a high school diploma/ no experience necessary. Apparently the finer elements
to understanding and enjoying a musical instrument still elude you. That's a shame. God bless