• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Specs on LSLP Headstock

corpse

s7MnqnU.jpg

This is the side view of the head stock of my converted 69GT (Pat Sticker T-Tops added). As you can see, it was grovered- and had a piece of mahogany laminated to the underside. I also posted a top shot of the head stock. And yes- I do know the difference between a 1969 mid/early and a 1970- and this is a 1969. Nobody did this to remove the volute.
c9HglYF.jpg

This was fairly well done- they didn't go overboard matching the stain color but oh well- it plays and sounds great, and the really did nice work matching the laminate to the underside with no obvious removal of the top veneer. CV19 morbid curiosity (meaning plenty of time on my hands)- why? This was some serious surgery- there are no signs of a break. My speculation is someone effed the drilling for the Grovers and had to do this. I am curious what the original thickness of the HS should have been.
I asked this 5 years ago and didn't get too much of a reply- we have lots of new folks- I was wondering if anyone had a thought?

Last edited:

fred dons

looking at the front of the headstock and especially the missing paint near the tuners my guess that indeed the person installing the grovers had a bit of a heavy hand, and I agree this significant touch up would not be done to cover up a missing volute

Davesrave

[/QUOTE] I am curious what the original thickness of the HS should have been.
I asked this 5 years ago and didn't get too much of a reply- we have lots of new folks- I was wondering if anyone had a thought?[/QUOTE]

I just measured my '69 and it is slightly larger than 1/2 inch - like 1/32" thicker.

Grog

Mine is .535 above the “G” tuner & .540 below the high “E” tuner.

corpse

Thanks for the replies. GP- the original finish is present to the middle of the back of the first fret- so no. It is very close the the profile of a late 50's LP- but very large up past the 10th fret- an odd taper.

guitplayer

Cool. I`ve seen some of those get gigantic up around past the 10th.
How thick is your headstock there? I guess the other guys are reading slightly over 1/2 inch.

corpse

Most of my "desk stuff" is in storage at the moment- but it is right about 1/2" with a ruler.

guitplayer

so then the "boogered" might have been the headstock split
with the incorrect install of the grovers? Laminated added for strength ?

corpse

Yep- it was repaired very carefully- the laminate and the thickness is uniform on both sides. But the top shows no signs of a split or other fuckery.
Those over-sized washers might be some cheaters too. But I am not removing anything to investigate further out of respect...

corpse

AND- it's got that great vintage smell.

I am NOT going to make any analogies out of how much I love that...

Bruce R

Not to be negative, but perhaps at one time it was stolen and a new piece was laminated on to; 1) completely cover the serial number, or 2) cover up an attempt to crudely sand off the serial number.

There is a used Les Paul in a pawn shop here in town with a headstock that has been heavily sanded to eradicate the serial number. This guitar has been run through the police department and cleared for resale (with all the paperwork), but will definitely need to be repaired as yours was. Decent 80's LP Standard.

The oversized washers look consistent with the type of tuners that utilize a 'screw-in' bolt, as these Grovers appear to be. They are slightly larger than the 'press-in' style with smaller washers and look normal to me.

corpse

Wow- never thought of that.
This guitar was in the public eye for a decade in Atl.
"You'll never take me alive, coppers!"...

corpse

Bad pic- it's a big un'. Nobody trying to disguise it.
There is still original finish all the way around "above" the stain/lacquer on the veneer.