• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Alnico 2 vs 5 in the 2020 lineup

AustinGreyson

I’m a big fan of pickups with alnico 5 magnets. The 490t was the first thing to get swapped in my SG.

Looking over the current lineup it looks like if I want my preferred Gibson pickup (498 or a Burstbucker pro) I have to either settle for a studio (I like neck binding), overpay for a modern (not a huge fan of the finishes or the white knobs) or splurge on a custom (why don’t these come with flame maple?).

Do none of the classics or standards come with an alnico 5 option?

Obviously I can throw a 498 in any of these but I was really hoping to not spend this kinda money on a project guitar.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Gringo

Well a lot of times instruments are voiced by the manufacturer with the pickups used in said instrument . You can always get A5 magnets from ThroBak and if you know how to swap the magnet that is cool . Pickups are easy enough to have swapped out and can make for an improvement in tone .

Tarcisioo

Well a lot of times instruments are voiced by the manufacturer with the pickups used in said instrument . You can always get A5 magnets from ThroBak and if you know how to swap the magnet that is cool . Pickups are easy enough to have swapped out and can make for an improvement in tone .

Swapping magnets is easy if your pickup is unpotted. Yep, that's from someone who killed some burstbuckers pro's in the past.

One funny thing to mention: I'm really not a fan of the 498T, I think it's just too rock n roll in your face, not enough sweetness. The 490R is a different story, I've put one in the bridge position of one of my Les Paul's and I think it's brilliant. It replaced the Burstbucker Pro.

I kind of dislike AlNiCo V, maybe because I like to run my amps pretty hot, so a sweeter more dynamic pickup gives me more room to run the amp louder without piercing my ears

El Gringo

Swapping magnets is easy if your pickup is unpotted. Yep, that's from someone who killed some burstbuckers pro's in the past.

One funny thing to mention: I'm really not a fan of the 498T, I think it's just too rock n roll in your face, not enough sweetness. The 490R is a different story, I've put one in the bridge position of one of my Les Paul's and I think it's brilliant. It replaced the Burstbucker Pro.

I kind of dislike AlNiCo V, maybe because I like to run my amps pretty hot, so a sweeter more dynamic pickup gives me more room to run the amp louder without piercing my ears

Good point about the wax or un potted , as I should know that as all of my ThroBak pickups are wax potted and I do use the ALINCO V magnets as I like the nice mid range they give along with my Marshall 2555X's . No more days of the thin sounding dead pickups . Taste as always is subjective and what works for one can be junk for someone else . As always listen with your ears and your ears will guide you .

tarrybrad

Ah, the age-old debate of Alnico 2 vs Alnico 5! It's always an interesting topic, especially when it comes to guitar pickups.

In the 2020 lineup, the choice between Alnico 2 and Alnico 5 magnets can significantly influence the tone of the pickups.

Alnico 2 magnets tend to offer a warmer, smoother sound with a pronounced midrange. They can be great for achieving a 'vintage' or 'vintage-inspired' tone. They often excel in producing a more 'singing' sustain and a sweeter, softer attack. Instagram Plus

Alnico 5, on the other hand, typically delivers a more focused, punchy sound with a pronounced top end. They are often favored for their clarity, articulation, and enhanced dynamic range. This can be particularly beneficial for cutting through a mix.

Ultimately, the choice between the two comes down to personal preference and the style of music you're playing. Some players prefer the warmth and smoothness of Alnico 2, while others lean towards the punch and clarity of Alnico 5.

It might be worth trying out both types in your setup to see which one resonates with your playing style and musical genre. Remember, there's no one-size-fits-all answer – it's all about finding what works best for you!

Last edited:

jimmi

I usually don’t like A2s or A3s. I do like strong A4s or A5s. At least not in replica pickups and definitely not in the current custom buckers. I don’t really know the magnets in the vintage pickups I have with 1 exception which ended up being an A5 long magnet in probably the best neck pickup I have.

bluesky636

Ummmm. This is the Vintage 1952 - 1960 Les Paul forum. This thread does not belong here.