• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Jake Jones Pickips anyone?

BurstFan

Jake Jones Pickups anyone?

Hi guys,

Just bought a set of Jake Jones pickups.
I can only find few information online.
Some say they are made with the correct amount of cobalt in the magnets and 50ies wire. The set is from the nineties.
The name behind the brand is Pete Skaltis.

Has anyone ever played or knows these pickups?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cream Fan

I know Peter. He makes a great pickup. As far as I know the bit about the proper wire and the cobalt in the magnets is true.

BurstFan

Re: Jake Jones Pickups anyone?

Thanks for your reply!

Did you play the Pickups and could you compare them?

Last edited:

Don

I used to have Peter work on my amps until I learned how to do it myself (partially due to his input). We used to talk about his pickups but I never tried them.

Cream Fan

I had them in my R9. They were great. I only replaced them because I lucked into an original pair of early Patent Number PAFs. Nothing beats the real thing, but the Jake Jones were damned close.

BurstFan

Thanks all for your reply.
Got the pickups today and installed them in my R9. The neck is fantastic sounding. Open, dynamic and PAF like. But the bridge is the opposite. Lifeless, dull and way to much bass. I wonder what is wrong.
It's not the first time I installed new pickups, everything looks okay and works as it should be. But that bridge pup is disappointing.

Last edited:

BurstFan

Haha I just had contact to the seller and he was very surprised. So I measured the outputs again and noticed that I did wire the pickups to the wrong pots. Did it so many times and today it happened.
And now it sounds great. Really Great. Need to dial them in but these are great pickups.
By the way the Custombuckers did sound great too, but were a little bit thin sounding. Not bad just missed the "fullness".