The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 41
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member JPP-1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,243

    Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    From his iconic low slung sunburst Les Paul to his imposing double stairway EDS 1275, I don’t know if there is another guitarist more inextricably linked to a guitar brand then Jimmy Page is to Gibson.

    The once staid, old fashioned looking Les Paul suddenly became the coolest hard rock guitars on the planet. And while Jimmy’s genius was so compelling, the guy could’ve probably used an electrified banjo and made it rock, I can’t help but think there were some synergies going on between Jimmy and his Les Paul.

    A pre 73 or RAH signature Jimmy Page Les Paul would be nothing short of a runaway hit and a fitting tribute to a brilliant guitar “god” and his trusty hammer.

  2. #2

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    A lot of LZ was a Tele, so I'm OK with this.
    Tim

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    283

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Yardbirds too... and post Zeppelin.

    Didn't he also play a Fender 12 string and a Strat with Zeppelin as well? Btw, sorry to use the F-word here.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member Ace139's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    New Market, MD
    Posts
    1,744

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    In addition to the LPs mentioned, by my count he still has these 3 to go

    LPB Strat
    Martin D28
    Tele B-Bender
    Dano

    Also think he could probably do tap the amp world a little more if he wanted. The Zoso Marshall?
    Some people call me old fashion - but fire scares me

  5. #5
    All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    19,746

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace139 View Post

    Also think he could probably do tap the amp world a little more if he wanted. The Zoso Marshall?
    His greatest live sound, and likely much recording were done with a specially made Hiwatt!


  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,738

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    And how about his Supro.

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member 65Firebird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    56

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by JPP-1 View Post
    From his iconic low slung sunburst Les Paul to his imposing double stairway EDS 1275, I don’t know if there is another guitarist more inextricably linked to a guitar brand then Jimmy Page is to Gibson.

    The once staid, old fashioned looking Les Paul suddenly became the coolest hard rock guitars on the planet. And while Jimmy’s genius was so compelling, the guy could’ve probably used an electrified banjo and made it rock, I can’t help but think there were some synergies going on between Jimmy and his Les Paul.

    A pre 73 or RAH signature Jimmy Page Les Paul would be nothing short of a runaway hit and a fitting tribute to a brilliant guitar “god” and his trusty hammer.
    I agree, when I think Jimmy Page it's a Les Paul or Double Neck IMHO.

  8. #8

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Why not? His most iconic solo was on that Tele.

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Although a Tele was used on Led Zeppelin 1, if I remember it right, a LP was used on every single live performance with Led Zeppelin. Arguably it was his main guitar on every one of those live performances. I mean, I'm not against/offended by a Tele being his last sig guitar release, but I understand and would get behind the argument for a LP.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqs View Post
    Although a Tele was used on Led Zeppelin 1, if I remember it right, a LP was used on every single live performance with Led Zeppelin. Arguably it was his main guitar on every one of those live performances. I mean, I'm not against/offended by a Tele being his last sig guitar release, but I understand and would get behind the argument for a LP.
    Not in the beginning of there tours in support of the first album and I believe he got the Famous Sunburst Les Paul during the making of the second album or the tour following the completion of the second album.

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Not in the beginning of there tours in support of the first album and I believe he got the Famous Sunburst Les Paul during the making of the second album or the tour following the completion of the second album.
    But wasn't the band performing under a different name, New Yardbirds, I believe? Genuinely asking.

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqs View Post
    But wasn't the band performing under a different name, New Yardbirds, I believe? Genuinely asking.
    Led Zeppelin I , Jimmy used the Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him as a gift . Led Zeppelin toured in support of there debut album which I believe was 1968 . 1969 I do believe Led Zeppelin II came out and it was somewhere around this period when he got his most famous Sunburst . Easy enough to Google you know .

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Led Zeppelin I , Jimmy used the Telecaster that Jeff Beck gave him as a gift . Led Zeppelin toured in support of there debut album which I believe was 1968 . 1969 I do believe Led Zeppelin II came out and it was somewhere around this period when he got his most famous Sunburst . Easy enough to Google you know .
    I knew that Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded with a Tele. But you’re right. I did some quick research and here’s what I found. The album came out in 1969, but the tour started in 1968. At the beginning of the tour they started under the name of new Yardbirds. They officially changed the name on Oct 25th 1968. On that same day they held a concert with posters that still read New Yardbirds. The year is relevant, because it is believed Page bought his iconic #1 from Joe Walsh in April of 1969. Thank you for your correction.

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqs View Post
    I knew that Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded with a Tele. But you’re right. I did some quick research and here’s what I found. The album came out in 1969, but the tour started in 1968. At the beginning of the tour they started under the name of new Yardbirds. They officially changed the name on Oct 25th 1968. On that same day they held a concert with posters that still read New Yardbirds. The year is relevant, because it is believed Page bought his iconic #1 from Joe Walsh in April of 1969. Thank you for your correction.
    Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page were a big huge influence on me growing up in the 70's . Every kid that played guitar when I was in school wanted a Sunburst Les Paul slung low and rocking out . Funny the one kid that had a Sunburst , which it was a Deluxe in a clown burst or tomato soup burst was okay on the guitar , another kid had a small guard Cherry Les Paul/SG and this kid was the 2nd coming of Jimi Hendrix , could he play . We would all be amazed at how we could tell the kid play this or play that and he would note for note .I had my Ebony Les Paul Custom and there was another kid that had a Mocha Poopy colored maple neck Stratocaster and that kid and I were always trading guitars until his parents would bring back my Les Paul home to me ,for which I am grateful . The Kid with the Stratocaster traded it in for a BC Rich guitar .

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member Keefoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    412

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    A very well known recording, but nonetheless...


  16. #16

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqs View Post
    I knew that Led Zeppelin 1 was recorded with a Tele. But you’re right. I did some quick research and here’s what I found. The album came out in 1969, but the tour started in 1968. At the beginning of the tour they started under the name of new Yardbirds. They officially changed the name on Oct 25th 1968. On that same day they held a concert with posters that still read New Yardbirds. The year is relevant, because it is believed Page bought his iconic #1 from Joe Walsh in April of 1969. Thank you for your correction.
    It's not like he dropped the Tele the instant he got his first Burst. He played the Stairway solo on it. It's on Physical Graffiti, and after a houseguest messed it up by painting it and ruining the electronics he used tge neck on his brown B Bender Tele.

    He's used a Tele through the Yardbirds and a lot of Zeppelin, it's totally valid as a signature instrument.

    And I lust for a mirror Tele, sans mirrors.

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    It's not like he dropped the Tele the instant he got his first Burst. He played the Stairway solo on it. It's on Physical Graffiti, and after a houseguest messed it up by painting it and ruining the electronics he used tge neck on his brown B Bender Tele.

    He's used a Tele through the Yardbirds and a lot of Zeppelin, it's totally valid as a signature instrument.

    And I lust for a mirror Tele, sans mirrors.
    I actually like both the mirror Tele and the Dragon Tele and I probably would have snapped one up but I cant stand such a small neck profile . Yuck . Beautiful guitars, both of them .

  18. #18

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace139 View Post
    In addition to the LPs mentioned, by my count he still has these 3 to go

    LPB Strat
    Martin D28
    Tele B-Bender
    Dano

    Also think he could probably do tap the amp world a little more if he wanted. The Zoso Marshall?
    You would probably pay less buying a vintage Dano from the year he had than what they will charge for a signature

  19. #19
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flogger View Post
    It's not like he dropped the Tele the instant he got his first Burst. He played the Stairway solo on it. It's on Physical Graffiti, and after a houseguest messed it up by painting it and ruining the electronics he used tge neck on his brown B Bender Tele.

    He's used a Tele through the Yardbirds and a lot of Zeppelin, it's totally valid as a signature instrument.

    And I lust for a mirror Tele, sans mirrors.
    I never meat to imply that he dropped the Tele after he got his #1. What I’m pointing out is that the Les Paul became his main in live performances. He still used the double neck for stairway live among other things, his danelectro, his tele, etc but he was mostly seen with Les Paul when playing live. Of course the two Teles are valid signature models. The argument that started this thread is whether or not a tele should be his last signature model, not if a Tele should be a sig model at all. At least that’s how I understand it. My opinion is that he should have his two tele sigs, but that we get another LP sig after that.

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member Elmore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,755

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    I vote for a B-Bender Les Paul. A red one.
    "What's it SOUND like, baby?" - Ray Charles

  21. #21
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmore View Post
    I vote for a B-Bender Les Paul. A red one.
    JP , did have a red Les Paul , I am not positive of the shade of red but I remember him using it on a guest slot on a Robert Plant show I believe .This was pre Page/Plant ,which probably came after .

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,681

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Reading through this thread, I was in college in April 1969, and it was either Yardbirds II or Led Zep that played at our college, just before I was drafted in the first lottery. I cannot remember which name they used, but at least I got to see them very early on.

    During that concert, Page used a Tele almost exclusively, so he must have gotten his #1 LP from Walsh shortly thereafter.

    I've played LP's since the late 1950's, as my guitar teacher had the originals back then and allowed me to play them often. When he needed a guitar for a specific jazz job, he would trade me one of his LP's for my Super 400.

    The first person I saw play them back in the mid 1960's was Keith Richards, and that made me decide to buy one. Prior to that all I played was my Super 400.

    I currently have 3 CS LP's including 2 R9's. As soon as I received my 2018 R9, (had R9's from Gibson since 1998, onward), I felt like I was back playing them in the 1950's. What a rush it was, when I first picked up that 2018 M2M R9. It was the first one of the many Historics I owned that really made me remember playing the originals. My 2019 R9 reinforced that feeling again.
    On s'électrise:
    Tension maximale
    Les corps-circuits...
    De deux amants
    On s'illumine
    Lumière animale
    L'école de l'é...
    ...lectro-aimant.
    La France a les plus belles femmes, le pays et la culture sur la planète. Personne ne peut correspondre à la beauté d'Alizée.

  23. #23
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Shakedown Street
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by C-4 View Post
    Reading through this thread, I was in college in April 1969, and it was either Yardbirds II or Led Zep that played at our college, just before I was drafted in the first lottery. I cannot remember which name they used, but at least I got to see them very early on.

    During that concert, Page used a Tele almost exclusively, so he must have gotten his #1 LP from Walsh shortly thereafter.

    I've played LP's since the late 1950's, as my guitar teacher had the originals back then and allowed me to play them often. When he needed a guitar for a specific jazz job, he would trade me one of his LP's for my Super 400.

    The first person I saw play them back in the mid 1960's was Keith Richards, and that made me decide to buy one. Prior to that all I played was my Super 400.

    I currently have 3 CS LP's including 2 R9's. As soon as I received my 2018 R9, (had R9's from Gibson since 1998, onward), I felt like I was back playing them in the 1950's. What a rush it was, when I first picked up that 2018 M2M R9. It was the first one of the many Historics I owned that really made me remember playing the originals. My 2019 R9 reinforced that feeling again.
    Very impressive I must say and ditto for owning and playing the big daddy of all archtops the Gibson Super 400 , that has to be so cool in and of it self !!!!!!!!

  24. #24
    Les Paul Forum Member Keefoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    412

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    JP , did have a red Les Paul , I am not positive of the shade of red but I remember him using it on a guest slot on a Robert Plant show I believe .This was pre Page/Plant ,which probably came after .
    This one not with Robert Plant, but I too remember the red Les Paul.


  25. #25
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,515

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    JP , did have a red Les Paul , I am not positive of the shade of red but I remember him using it on a guest slot on a Robert Plant show I believe .This was pre Page/Plant ,which probably came after .
    I'm pretty sure the red Les Paul had the B-Bender installed near the end of Page's tenure in the Firm. I remember reading (I think) a Musician magazine profile of Page in which they interviewed his guitar tech, and there was a comment from the author that they experimented with a B-Bender in the Les Paul, but because of how much wood was chopped out, Page wasn't happy with the tone. He couldn't have been that unhappy, since he went on to play that guitar on his '88 solo tour, with Plant at Knebworth in 1990, with Plant on the Unledded MTV show and on tour, etc.

    If Fender decides to do a brown Page B-Bender Tele, they're going to have to decide which mechanism to use. The original Parsons B-Bender mounts the gears right onto the wood of the body, and then a metal plate goes over them. As Meridian Green told me when I did an article on the B-Bender for Vintage Guitar back in 2004, when Fender decided to mass-produce B-Bender equipped Teles, she and Gene Parsons designed a metal plate for the back of the Tele that holds the mechanism as well, which would be easier to install on the Fender assembly line. That's the version I have in my 1998 Fender Nashville Telecaster:



    I suppose it's possible Fender could use the mass-production StringBender version for a regular model, and the on-the-body mechanism on Custom Shop versions, if they want have one model that gets it right, and have two price-points to sell to guitarists.

  26. #26
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    2,003

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Edit.
    Last edited by c_wester; 05-16-20 at 03:54 AM.

  27. #27
    Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    6,779

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    I'm pretty sure the red Les Paul had the B-Bender installed near the end of Page's tenure in the Firm. I remember reading (I think) a Musician magazine profile of Page in which they interviewed his guitar tech, and there was a comment from the author that they experimented with a B-Bender in the Les Paul, but because of how much wood was chopped out, Page wasn't happy with the tone. He couldn't have been that unhappy, since he went on to play that guitar on his '88 solo tour, with Plant at Knebworth in 1990, with Plant on the Unledded MTV show and on tour, etc.

    If Fender decides to do a brown Page B-Bender Tele, they're going to have to decide which mechanism to use. The original Parsons B-Bender mounts the gears right onto the wood of the body, and then a metal plate goes over them. As Meridian Green told me when I did an article on the B-Bender for Vintage Guitar back in 2004, when Fender decided to mass-produce B-Bender equipped Teles, she and Gene Parsons designed a metal plate for the back of the Tele that holds the mechanism as well, which would be easier to install on the Fender assembly line. That's the version I have in my 1998 Fender Nashville Telecaster:



    I suppose it's possible Fender could use the mass-production StringBender version for a regular model, and the on-the-body mechanism on Custom Shop versions, if they want have one model that gets it right, and have two price-points to sell to guitarists.
    I’ve got a ‘63 Tele special order from Custom Shop that I sent to Gene Parsons for installation of B-bender (String Bender).

    After playing a Tele with the “mass produced” version and the one that Gene installed I can tell you the mass produced adds significant weight, and (as Gene points out) the mass produced is not a smooth a mechanism but still works just fine...though I must say the one Gene installed is a thing of beauty! He’s a master machinist, all parts are built by him except the spring, c clamp/washer, rubber stop

    I too hope a sig model would offer both versions according to price point

  28. #28
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,515

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gold Tone View Post
    I’ve got a ‘63 Tele special order from Custom Shop that I sent to Gene Parsons for installation of B-bender (String Bender).

    After playing a Tele with the “mass produced” version and the one that Gene installed I can tell you the mass produced adds significant weight, and (as Gene points out) the mass produced is not a smooth a mechanism but still works just fine...though I must say the one Gene installed is a thing of beauty! He’s a master machinist, all parts are built by him except the spring, c clamp/washer, rubber stop

    I too hope a sig model would offer both versions according to price point
    After doing the piece for Vintage Guitar in 2004, I lost track of Parsons and Green. I'm glad they're still doing custom installations. Please post some photos of your Tele once it's back!

  29. #29
    Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    6,779

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    After doing the piece for Vintage Guitar in 2004, I lost track of Parsons and Green. I'm glad they're still doing custom installations. Please post some photos of your Tele once it's back!
    I had it done in 2011

    Gene is still hard at it! You need to call him and talk to him to “accept” your request for install as I believe he does 40 or so a year

    I’m at family cabin this weekend (hiding out from COVID). Will post picks this week...it’s a thrill to play and own, stunning workmanship

    https://www.stringbender.com/

  30. #30

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    JP , did have a red Les Paul , I am not positive of the shade of red but I remember him using it on a guest slot on a Robert Plant show I believe .This was pre Page/Plant ,which probably came after .
    It's like a maroon or plum red-purplish painted over gold top, I believe. Likely 50s gold top, it's been conjectured, right?


  31. #31

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    He has the Transperformance ones, too

    d05a26f062152c393711793d04c2f91f.jpg

  32. #32
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by jb_abides View Post
    He has the Transperformance ones, too

    d05a26f062152c393711793d04c2f91f.jpg


    I bet people will get behind the self tuning part. Maybe Gibson should have included a picture of this Jimmy Page’s LP Classic with a bit of explanation, then maybe people wouldn’t have gotten so riled up with the G-Force thing.

  33. #33
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,515

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by pqs View Post

    I bet people will get behind the self tuning part. Maybe Gibson should have included a picture of this Jimmy Page’s LP Classic with a bit of explanation, then maybe people wouldn’t have gotten so riled up with the G-Force thing.
    I did a quick Google and didn't see any direct comparisons between the TransPerformance system and Gibson's Robot Tuners. Page used his TransPerformance system in the studio and on the road in the mid-1990s, so it must work reasonably well. What did they do right that Gibson apparently didn't, 20 years later?

  34. #34
    Les Paul Forum Member pqs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    77

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    I did a quick Google and didn't see any direct comparisons between the TransPerformance system and Gibson's Robot Tuners. Page used his TransPerformance system in the studio and on the road in the mid-1990s, so it must work reasonably well. What did they do right that Gibson apparently didn't, 20 years later?
    I wasn’t being completely serious. Those systems aren’t related. It’s more the concept of a self tuning guitar. Honestly, I think the 2015 G-Force was horrible. It took a long time to tune and there was also the bronze nut issue. From 2016 on the system worked really well, in my experience. The titanium nut held together and the system got faster, more reliable and quieter.

  35. #35

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    G-Force is Tronical, rebranded.

    Transperformance assets were acquired by AxCent Tuning Systems.

    Both companies are still in business.

    I bought an SG with G-Force just to try it. It's doesn't suck, nor is it flawless. It's handy for some situations.


  36. #36
    Les Paul Forum Member Gold Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    6,779

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Driscoll View Post
    After doing the piece for Vintage Guitar in 2004, I lost track of Parsons and Green. I'm glad they're still doing custom installations. Please post some photos of your Tele once it's back!






    Last edited by Gold Tone; 05-24-20 at 02:20 PM.

  37. #37
    Les Paul Forum Member Ed Driscoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    South of Dallas
    Posts
    4,515

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    [QUOTE=Gold Tone;2861900]

    I use my Nashville Tele all the time to write and record songs, but I mainly like the B-Bender aspect to add an occasional spice to the usual blues-style licks, so I don't think I have an urge to have an actual Parsons-Green unit installed. But I will admit to being a bit jealous of someone who has the mounted to the body version.

  38. #38
    Les Paul Forum Member au_rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    A land down under
    Posts
    799

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    [QUOTE=pqs;2861172]I never meat to imply that he dropped the Tele after he got his #1. What I’m pointing out is that the Les Paul became his main in live performances. He still used the double neck for stairway live among other things, his danelectro, his tele, etc but he was mostly seen with Les Paul when playing live. Of course the two Teles are valid signature models. The argument that started this thread is whether or not a tele should be his last signature model, not if a Tele should be a sig model at all. At least that’s how I understand it. My opinion is that he should have his two tele sigs, but that we get another LP sig after that.[/QUO

    The story goes that someone took his Tele and refinished it and it was never the same again as far as Jimmy was concerned, hence the switch (and remembering that his previous LP Custom had been stolen).
    "When Giants Walked The Earth" by Ken Wall is good bio of the band (and Peter Grant) and has some really good information in it (assuming it is all correct)
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

  39. #39
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,954

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    They have done his #1 & #2 Burst as well as the 90's Signature Standard, a CS Custom 3 pup BB and the double neck. About time they did the Dragon Tele. First time I saw Zep that was what he used, along with the Dano for his solo spot. He used those blue and red Univox amps and I bought a double stack from the HOG within a week because I was so inspired. Already had a tele and dano, but lacked the Tonebender.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  40. #40
    Les Paul Forum Member ourmaninthenorth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Blighty.
    Posts
    6,129

    Re: Jimmy’s final signature guitar should not be a Fender.

    By way of a musical interlude, you Lads might enjoy this....not seen it before myself.

    Shakespeare walks into a pub, the Landlord says "get out, you're Bard"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i