• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Robby Kreiger Custom Staple Issue

Jim Scully

Hi
looking for some help on a weird issue.
i have a RK 1954 Custom that I absolutely love. I had the mini humbucker bridge replaced with a Lollar staple pickup by my technician.
the pickup sounds amazing, I love it.
the issue is that I get some kind of crackling or interference when I touch the pick guard. If I take the pick guard off, the problem goes away. I don’t get it when I touch any other part of the guitar. Can anyone help?

PaulD

Sounds like a static electricity build up in the plastic and / or your body. Wiping the pick-guard with an anti static clothes dryer sheet is often suggested as a cure.

Jim Scully

Paul:
thank you for the tip. I used static guard on a cloth, wipes down the pick guard and the static is gone. This was driving me crazy. Thank you so much for your help!

thin sissy

A staple bridge pu on a Les Paul sounds really interesting! Never seen that. How would you compare it to a P-90 bridge pu?

Jim Scully

Hi
yes, really strange as it didn’t happen when I had the mini humbucker in it. It also doesn’t happen with any of my other Les Pauls. I can’t figure out why it is happening but the static guard works at least temporarily.
I’d love to figure out the cause and address it with a permanent fix.

Thin Sissy:
it sounds amazing. 1954 Black Beauty’s originally had a P90 in the bridge and an alnico staple in the neck. The Robby Kreiger is a fantastic guitar, perfect weight, neck shape etc. for me. It had a mini humbucker in the neck which I wasn’t crazy about so, had the staple installed.

It has a more rich, fuller sound than the P90 with a little less of the bite. It is great to have both on this guitar. Small adjustments in volume and rolling back the tone is amazing

thin sissy

it sounds amazing. 1954 Black Beauty’s originally had a P90 in the bridge and an alnico staple in the neck. The Robby Kreiger is a fantastic guitar, perfect weight, neck shape etc. for me. It had a mini humbucker in the neck which I wasn’t crazy about so, had the staple installed.

It has a more rich, fuller sound than the P90 with a little less of the bite. It is great to have both on this guitar. Small adjustments in volume and rolling back the tone is amazing
Hey man, I thought you put the staple in the bridge position, maybe I misunderstood :) ! Anyway, Customs with staple neck pickups are cool as hell, congrats :salude

Jim Scully

Hi
Sorry, I mistyped. I put the staple in the neck to replace the mini hb. It is really cool. The combination of the staple and the P90 is great.
Lollar staple:jim

dnabbet2

Hi
Sorry, I mistyped. I put the staple in the neck to replace the mini hb. It is really cool. The combination of the staple and the P90 is great.
Lollar staple:jim

I'm sorry, I don't have a thought on the pickguard noise but I did replace the mini-humbucker in a Robbie Krieger with a Seymour Duncan staple, and then experimented with a Lollar staple in the bridge position as well, 'cause I love staples and the Lollar doesn't require any routing.

And I've owned a lot of '54-style customs over the years, and used and liked Lollar P-90s -- there's a Lollar underwound P-90 in the bridge of that same Robbie Krieger.

As a result, I would really encourage you try a Duncan staple 'cause it's constructed like an old one with adjustable pole pieces and it sounds different. Also, the staple/neck and P-90/bridge combination is SO cool ... really versatile. Staples front and back were a disappointment for me.