• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Replacement Speaker for GA-45

SJM

<article>
Hi all,

I'm updating this thread because I made a mistake when first posting. Duh!

I have a 1959 Gibson GA-45 Maestro amp. I was lucky enough to pick it up for a song a few years ago and I'm planning to install a new speaker in it. Looking for any advice or recommendations please.

The original Jensen 4 x 8" speakers that came with it were completely shot, so I replaced them with a Weber alnico 12". Nice speaker, but the Maestro is a naturally dark sounding amp and this speaker brings out the warm bass and mid tones, but there's no high end sparkle. This was ok for playing old school jazz, but now I'd like to use the amp as an all-rounder so I'm looking for a brighter voiced speaker to open it up and give a wider sound spectrum.

I use warm, clean sounds 99% of the time. I don't need high volume and I'm not looking for ear-splitting treble. But at the moment, to get any sort of useable all-round sound I have to play with the treble on 10 and the bass almost completely rolled off.

I've done some research.

There's some love out there for the Eminence Legend 1258 in this style of amp, although some people say they don't have quite enough high end. Others recommend the Eminence GA-SC64 or the 10" version, the GA10-SC64. I think a 2 x 10" configuration might be a bit thin though with not enough bottom end. Can anyone shed any light?

I originally bought this amp after playing through a Victoria Electro King loaded with a 12" Jensen P12Q. (The Electro King uses the same circuit as the Gibson GA-40 and GA45, but it was WAY cheaper to buy one of the originals.) I liked the sound of the Electro King, so a Jensen is one option, but I've the P12Q is not very efficient. Other Jensen speakers people seem to rate are the C12N (naturally brighter sounding) and the Neo.

Then there's the Eminence EVM12L. It's heavy and more expensive. I can live with that. But will it be ridiculously loud?

I don't need to blow the roof off and I use a pedal for overdrive, so I'm just looking for a speaker which will help me get some sweet-sounding treble tones out of this naturally dark sounding amp. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks guys.
</article>
<article></article>

Last edited: