• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Neck Angle?

apex944

Hello All. First post here. Below are some photos of my Epi Les Paul. Bought it used, but it's not old. Maybe 3 years.
After fighting with my bridge height, nut and having the guitar frets "worked" by a music shop I'm still have a terrible time with fret buzz and dead spots with certain frets.
After showing it to a buddy who has far more experience that I he said the neck angle looked wrong. What say you?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MSvyugDxPQSBqwH8A

One photo shows the neck height at about 6mm (w/ ruler) off the body at it's end.
Another shows the neck as it lays on the body and you can see the black line below the white binding getting thicker as it gets closer to the pickup.
The last image shows the ruler laying flat on the body which highlights the neck angle.

Does all this look normal? Is 6mm too high? My pickups are screwed all the way out to get anywhere near the strings.
But if I lower the bride or nut, the strings are far to close to the fret board.

Thank you,
Bill

rick c

Hi Bill: How high to you have to lift the bridge? For reference, my bass E string is 18.5mm above the body of the guitar at the front of the bridge to the bottom of the string. If your bass E is significantly higher than this, then it does suggest that the neck angle is steeper than mine (87 Gibson LP Custom). Gibson necks are not always exactly the same. Assuming that your neck leans back a little more than usual, then all you should expect to be concerned about is higher pups, higher bridge and a higher tailpiece; the strings could not care less about the neck set angle. As long as the neck is good, just a little relief from flat and the frets are all level then you should not be getting excessive buzzes and dead spots; of course this also depends on what string guages you use and how low you set action. Again, for reference, I use 0.009-0.042" strings, set neck relief so that there is some (don't measure it but it's probably around 0.008" at the 7th fret with a capo on the first and the string touched at the body joint) and 12 fret actions of 5/64" at the low E and 3/64" at the top E. Regular playing does not buzz anywhere but harder picking makes some buzzing up around the 14-16th frets on the lower, wound strings as they move more.

It may be that your neck is a little twisted or that there is a hump around the 17th to 20th fret area. Did you pay to have the frets "worked" or was it done by another owner? Get out a credit card and use it as a rocker around the frets that buzz to see if the frets are flat with respect to each other or if there are high/low spots.

What is your neck pickup height? Hard to say from the photos but it looks too close to the strings to me. I set mine at around 1/16", E strings to poles. FWIW, I adjust my poles flat with the surface of the pup cover at the Es, 1/2 a turn out at the B and A and one full turn out at the G and D to follow the neck profile a little.

rick c

Highly unlikely on a younger guitar but has your bridge collapsed a little? This can result in D and G string buzzes, sometimes more.

apex944

Rick,
This was very helpful info. My E string is 17.5mm from body to bottom of string just in front of the bridge.
Aslo my E string to pole piece on the next is about 1/16th". So I guess my buddy was probably not correct in his statement and that had me barking up the wrong tree.
I bought a fret rocker and fret spacing / height guage from steam mac that arrived Saturday and I think my problems are with the frets. They are all over the place. I'm going to find a more reputable shop to have them take a look. Thanks again for you time, it really helped me out.