• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A Question Of Contours When Building In The Style Of A Les Paul

Andy54

I thought I might be able to get some direction from the members on the general contours of a Les Paul top.

I've bought a plan from Georgia Luthier Supply that gives a template plan for carving/routing the contours of the top. Their contour plan shows the templates curving successively, in the area of the switch/upper bout, in a "sweep" toward the fretboard. I imagine this would set up the inclined fretboard/pickup/bridge plane.

When searching the net for similar contour template plans, I've found the majority have templates that aren't shaped like GLS plan. Mostly they produce a contour that crosses the top edge of the body between upper bout and the fretboard.

So I thought I'd come to the source of Gibson tech knowledge for an opinion on the difference before I start making templates from the GLS plan.

Last edited: