• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New EB day

Norton

Been keeping an eye out for a MkI Eb3 for a while and finally found an original unbroken one from '62 to add to the collection. Unfortunately, it was a smokers bass so a deep clean will happen this weekend. I'm hoping that as I gently clean the tar off the neck pickup cover what's left of the original silver coat will start to shine again. I'll also need to track down a correct early 60s TRC since the one it's sporting now is a later replacement.

Anyway, thought some of you would like to see the dirty pics...

Grog

Nice!! It should clean up great! Looking forward to seeing it after you work it!

Norton

Thanks for the comments all. I couldn't wait for the weekend so last night I started testing different gentle cleaners on the bridge pickup ring. The pseudo-chrome finish Gibson applied to the plastic covers is known to wear away fairly easily so I didn't want to risk anything too aggressive. I ended up with a highly diluted citrus based cleaner that seemed to nicely soften and breakdown the years of smokers tar buildup and other gunk without affecting the chrome. After about 4 hours or gentle application with a q-tip I was able to get some pretty decent results.

Before:

After:

Next I'll start tackling the neck pickup cover. I can tell by looking through the layers of crud that the chrome is already fairly worn but I hope to be able to preserve everything that's left of it.

Grog

Looking good! It has 58 years of stories to tell.....

Norton

I started cleaning the neck pickup cover but the finish was getting too thin so I decided to back off so as not to destroy whats left of it. It's a few shades lighter but I'll live with the tobacco tint I guess. In the mean time I started cleaning up the case. No candy was included but there was a previous owners purchase receipt from 1969:

I wish that's what I paid!

garywright

Haha ..I’m sure that $75.00 was only the final payment and not the full price :) ..btw, will you be able to post a video so we can check out some true vintage thumpin

Norton

Well it took a couple weeks but I finally had some time to finish the clean up. Virtuoso cleaner did it's job and brought the cherry back to a point where I'm happy. I also managed to track down a correct TRC and swapped for a set of knobs that hadnt lost their reflectors like the originals. Sounds amazing too, if I get a chance I'll make a recording to share. It's definitely got that EB3 Thump!

Norton

Haha ..I’m sure that $75.00 was only the final payment and not the full price :) ..btw, will you be able to post a video so we can check out some true vintage thumpin

You would hope it didn't lose over 3/4 it's value in 7 years! My theory was he had a trade in but it could well have been payments. Its always fun to find things like this in a case though.

garywright

Well it took a couple weeks but I finally had some time to finish the clean up. Virtuoso cleaner did it's job and brought the cherry back to a point where I'm happy.

I can see why ..I love this shot :salude

Grog

Came out nice! Not many survive with the hand rest & mute (with original felt).

garywright

Well it took a couple weeks but I finally had some time to finish the clean up. Virtuoso cleaner did it's job and brought the cherry back to a point where I'm happy. I also managed to track down a correct TRC and swapped for a set of knobs that hadnt lost their reflectors like the originals. Sounds amazing too, if I get a chance I'll make a recording to share. It's definitely got that EB3 Thump!

Norton ..how ‘bout a thump’n vid 👍

Tollywood

That’s an incredible bass. I love seeing the before and after photos. You did a fantastic job cleaning it up. The smokers tar looked so filthy, but I imagine that his lungs are even worse off.

Joe Desperado

If that is a 62, shouldn’t the pickup cover and bridge ring be black plastic? Those look spray painted silver.