• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

56 Les Paul TV Special - are these frets original?

I've found a 56 LP TV Special for sale that I'm considering buying. The seller says it's all original and that appears to be true, except I'm suspicious of the the frets or more specifically the binding. The frets appear to be the correct thin wire for a 56 but the binding doesn't have any 'nibs' as far as I can see, which makes me a bit suspicious that it may have had a refret at some point? I know the nibs can get worn down over time but there appears to be some kind of a 45 degree milling on the binding where the nibs would usually be. I've looked at loads of pictures of other 55-58 Specials and most appear to be like this?!?!. This is the first 50's vintage Les Paul that I'm considering buying (so far I've owned various custom shop reissues) so is this normal for a 55-58 Special? Attached are some iPhone pics. Many thanks.

IMG_6392.jpgIMG_6394.jpg

latestarter

The nibs are often very minimal on these, sometimes level like this. Looks like it’s gonna need a refret anyway...so no matter? Old guitars need good frets...

The nibs are often very minimal on these, sometimes level like this. Looks like it’s gonna need a refret anyway...so no matter? Old guitars need good frets...

Thanks. Yeah I'm beginning to think that the nibs or lack of them is normal on most Specials. Every picture I've seen bar one either didn't have the nibs or had very faint traces of them like on the one I'm considering. The frets are actually in good shape with plenty of life left in them, which is another reason I thought it may have had a refret.

marshall1987

Based on viewing the limited snapshots you posted, what caught my eye is the off-centered location of one or more position dots near the neck/body joint. Thees peculiar looking side dots appear to have been shaved down slightly and suggest the fingerboard may have been leveled and planed in the past during a re-fret. :dang

Recommend the seller provide background information on the guitar's service and repair history, including all work on the neck and fingerboard. Ask about the peculiar looking side dots that appear skewed towards the edge of the binding.

Flogger

The nibs look like the ones on th 58 in my avatar, but the binding isn't chamfered like that.

latestarter

I think it’s just the angle of the shot that makes the dots look that way. I’m not seeing weird with the binding...