• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pat Pickups (T Top or Earlier) Help IDing

staceyzz

I bought a homemade, 1970s Electric guitar, and found these pickups inside which I believe to be 1960s Gibson Pat Pickkups...? Anyway to confirm. One pickup measures 7.42, the other 6.90

staceyzz

OK, I took the cover off of one, here is what I found... It is a Pre T top...

L tooling marks, maple spacer, reddish copper bobbin wire, black/white bobbin lead.. So what era/year would this be...?

garywright

btw..not sure what’s up with the plastics coated lead :hmm

or chrome covers..

Last edited:

Aloha_Ark

Unusual wiring could be a repair due to a rewind. Can we see what the tape looks like under blacklight?

Would be nice if this could be authenticated as a pre-T top patent number pickup.

akkermanfan

OK, I took the cover off of one, here is what I found... It is a Pre T top...

L tooling marks, maple spacer, reddish copper bobbin wire, black/white bobbin lead.. So what era/year would this be...?

Hi staceyzz, could you please explain what the L tooling mark are, do you mean the corners ? Thanks, akkermanfan

corpse

Chrome was the plating choice of the LSLP- my 69 had chrome covers on the replaced T Tops (that came from somewhere).

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
That is a Pre-T pat number pickup. early to mid 60s these were made. Plastic lead is not common. Under 7 is a real low number for one of these.