• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

The Kossoff Burst Reunited With Paul Rodgers and Simon Kirke

Bruce R

Kris. Does anyone know why Pete chose to play Mr. Big with a straight open "E" chord instead of an "E7#9" like Kossoff played it? I kinda scratched my head when I heard this, as there are several videos available showing Koss playing it.

Overall, Pete did a good job and I think Paul wisely chose to use Deborah Bonham's band instead of the most obvious thing by using Simon and John Buckton on guitar. Just wondering about Pete's choice of chords on such an iconic song.

Fried okra

I really don’t know. Until you said something I hadn’t noticed. I do know he was nervous while playing. 👍

Bruce R

I really don’t know. Until you said something I hadn’t noticed. I do know he was nervous while playing. 👍
No big deal. I shudder at the thought of trying to fill the shoes of an iconic guitarist like Kossoff at any gig. Pete is a really fine guitarist and I by no means am trying to appear critical of anything he does (or any guitarist, for that matter). I think the music on the tour was amazing and the band was superb. So good to hear Paul do some of the songs that he normally wouldn't play. Pete's tone, with either his Custom or #15, was fantastic - he just nailed it.

Perhaps I missed it when the thread first started, but I really enjoyed hearing Pete play #15 before (or after?) the soundcheck. The controlled feedback at the Walk In My Shadow intro was spot-on, I could see the big smile on his face. I assume the unwanted high-pitched squealing was from the un-potted pickups being too close to the amp? I pray that the guitar is not strung with strings as heavy a gauge as Koss used?