• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2020's Gibson Les Paul 50's Standard finish issues

Moya

Hi all! I'm new here, and I beg you to forgive my english level, it isn't my native language.

A week ago I purchased my dream guitar (a 2019-2020 50's Les Paul Standard) online and it arrived yesterday. I instantly fell in love with the guitar: it played and felt good in hand (it is quite heavy) and the first impression on external details were great.

That's until I started noticing some imperfections, the one that upsets me more is that the line between the finish, the binding and the fretboard is not even (not even straight). I'll post some pictures of them so you can judge. I thought after spending two grand it would be perfect...

This is my first LP, and I don't know if these issues are common with Standards or not. Should I return it? Or is it acceptable?

Thank you so much!

IMG_4928.jpgIMG_4930.jpgIMG_4947.jpgIMG_4935.jpgIMG_4946.jpg

TexasFM3

Beautiful guitar - I too am most anal about my guitars. The nibs not aligning correctly with the fret wire is a bit surprising. That would cause me to speak with the online representative and voice my complaint. This being said. If it sounds great then the imperfections may be worth it. Great sounding instruments talk to you and I am just one voice in a sea of many. I can say that the nibs have always been decoration and you will find argument for and against them if you search long enough. They offer no playability importance. Plus down the line if you ever have to refret the guitar the nibs will be lost anyway.

Moya

Beautiful guitar - I too am most anal about my guitars. The nibs not aligning correctly with the fret wire is a bit surprising. That would cause me to speak with the online representative and voice my complaint. This being said. If it sounds great then the imperfections may be worth it. Great sounding instruments talk to you and I am just one voice in a sea of many. I can say that the nibs have always been decoration and you will find argument for and against them if you search long enough. They offer no playability importance. Plus down the line if you ever have to refret the guitar the nibs will be lost anyway.

Hey, thanks for the advise!

I don't really understand what is the problem with the nibs? Are you refering to the white paintjob on the frets? I thought it was normal!

TexasFM3

Brother - Sorry - the nib is the little piece of plastic that LP Std have at the end of the actual fret wire running along the neck.

Capture.jpg

It may not be a issue but from the fret pic it looks like the nib and the fret wire are off or have a small crevice so if you were to bend the low E that it might snag next to the nib. I have had that happen when soloing and the string just gets caught there. It can easily be rectified if you use a small drop of super glue and nail file which is disheartening on a 2 grand guitar. Like I said if this is not a problem then all is well and your ears should let you know if she a keeper and those imperfections acceptable. Trust as the years past you will have a story to tell about every ding and scratch. I look back on my 88 and can tell you every single scar she has. Sometimes its the imperfections that give it life.

sunking101

Apart from the headstock I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at? The headstock is a minor issue you can either live with or not. Touch it up with a small black touch up brush or even thin-nibbed Sharpie.

grimlyflick

Sorry but I’m not seeing anything I wouldn’t expect on a hand finished guitar.

Nice LP though.
:salude

El Gringo

To me your guitar looks fine and dandy and don't be looking for stuff that's not there as it will drive you insane . Seriously nice Les Paul ! . Go and rock her and have fun !

Flogger

You have to understand the processes involved in making your guitar. The neck and body binding are installed before the finish goes on. Once the gold is sprayed then paint has to be scraped off the binding by hand with a sharp knife. Then the guitar gets sprayed again with the clear coat.

It's made with a lot if by hand processes. That is what makes your instrument unique. The important thing is the music it helps you make.

Go look at old Ferraris at a car show. The left side is different than the right.

Tarcisioo

There's nothing wrong with the nibs, I guess that because how OP was so vague in his description, people started seeing things that aren't there.

But what I understand from what OP is compaining (apart from holly veneer finish) is that the neck binding isn't flush with the body, showing a little neck mahogany between the binding and the guitar body at the joint.

If this is the case, it's supposed to be like that. Les Pauls necks are glued at an angle downwards, wich should show that little seam under the binding. It's part of the design. I may be wrong.

People will take inconsistencies on a 300k burst, but won't take inconsistencies on a 2k guitar. I get that, production models changed, guitars nowadays should be so much better than vintage ones, because technology evolves, right? Well good luck with that.

You expected "perfect" with Gibson, but me? I never expect perfect with Gibson. And I'm not talking bad of the company, it's just part of the deal. My guitars will look pretty beaten in not a very long time anyways

Big Al

Hey, thanks for the advise!

I don't really understand what is the problem with the nibs? Are you refering to the white paintjob on the frets? I thought it was normal!

There is no problem with your guitar's nibs or binding, just some dumbass trying to appear knowledgeable. Ignore the nibblet and enjoy your fine new guitar.