• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A String Buzz. Video Included

randomdude84

hey guys, i have had my custom 57' gold top reissue for about 6 years now and never had this issue before. couple months ago i changed strings, i went from 10's to 11's. was having an issue since then with buzzing on the a string around the 9-12 frets. tried some bridge hight adjusting and couldn't really get rid of it.

i have tightened the truss rod some and now have horrible audible buzzing when hitting the open a string now.

bridge height is 5/64 on the low e at the 15th fret while holding the first fret down. high e is 4/64 while holding the first fret down as well.

i have feeler gauges for the truss rod but can't seem to use them that well. with a capo at the first fret and fretting the last fret, the string height at the 7 or 8 fret is minimal.

here is a video, hopefully you can hear that audible buzz while hitting that open a compared to the other strings.

https://youtu.be/qmw1glQmJUs

El Gringo

This is complex. When changing to a heavier string gauge I would think you would need to add a bit of relief to the neck via the truss rod , where you tightened it to make the neck more straight and that could be the source of the buzzing which you can clearly hear in your clip . Also after adding a bit of relief the height of your pickups might have to be lowered a bit and also your ABR-1 bridge probably as well needs to be adjusted . I can understand when only changing to slightly heavier string would make anyone think that it would not be that much of an adjustment but it really does matter . Also , if you can not get rid of the dreaded buzzing , do your self a huge favor and just take it to a reputable guitar tech ( not GC , which would be like me trying to adjust your guitar for you ) . Best Wishes , and please report back on how you made out .

rick c

Back to basics. String gauge went up, so neck tension went up so the neck should have bowed a little. If too much, it is possible for the extra curvature to make buzzing at the higher frets. The OP tightened the truss rod and it sounds like the neck is almost flat; this is OK for some guitars but generally a little relief is a good thing. I never measure it, I just feel it and adjust so that there's no buzzing but if I had to guess, my relief with capo at the 7th/8th fret is very small, maybe 0.010".

The video sounds like "sitar-ing" to me, buzzing caused by vibration of the string at the nut or the saddle; the saddle is the most likely source. It is highly unlikely that the open A sting is touching a fret but just to make sure, take a peek at the first fret; if the nut slot is too low, the string could touch the 1st fret; the buzz will go away if the string is fretted at the first fret if this is the case. If it is the case then flattening the neck would make things worse. Check to make sure that the A string saddle is not moving and that the string is sitting in its slot properly. I'd loosen the A string completely, wobble things around at the saddle then refit and tighten the string. The viseo sounds like the G string is buzzing too. Sitar-like to me.

Try tuning up to concert pitch and see what happens. I note you are tuned low.

Good luck

randomdude84

Back to basics. String gauge went up, so neck tension went up so the neck should have bowed a little. If too much, it is possible for the extra curvature to make buzzing at the higher frets. The OP tightened the truss rod and it sounds like the neck is almost flat; this is OK for some guitars but generally a little relief is a good thing. I never measure it, I just feel it and adjust so that there's no buzzing but if I had to guess, my relief with capo at the 7th/8th fret is very small, maybe 0.010".

The video sounds like "sitar-ing" to me, buzzing caused by vibration of the string at the nut or the saddle; the saddle is the most likely source. It is highly unlikely that the open A sting is touching a fret but just to make sure, take a peek at the first fret; if the nut slot is too low, the string could touch the 1st fret; the buzz will go away if the string is fretted at the first fret if this is the case. If it is the case then flattening the neck would make things worse. Check to make sure that the A string saddle is not moving and that the string is sitting in its slot properly. I'd loosen the A string completely, wobble things around at the saddle then refit and tighten the string. The viseo sounds like the G string is buzzing too. Sitar-like to me.

Try tuning up to concert pitch and see what happens. I note you are tuned low.

Good luck

thanks so much, i will give all that a shot tomorrow. I'm at tuned to eb by the way.

randomdude84

ok so i think i may have found the issue of why my a string is buzzing so bad. so my bridge saddles have the screw adjustments facing the pickups. the only string touching the screw is the a string. not sure how i can fix that though to see if its actually the cause of the buzzing.

https://ibb.co/V2NhjpB

by the way, how can i post pictures in here without having you guys click on a link? i tried the insert picture icon but it keeps posting a blue box with a question mark.

rick c

This explains the sitar buzz but why did this not hppens with lighter guage strings? It looks like your low E and A saddles are almost all the way back to intonate; I bet if the A saddle was further forward, the string would not touch the screw head. I've not seen the screw heads interfering with strings before. Makes me wonder if the A string saddle notch is too deep; if it is very obviously deep compared to others, you could just change it, maybe swap it out with another. Does your bridge lean backwards a little?

Read this thread:
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?149541-Saddle-screws-question

Last edited:

randomdude84

This explains the sitar buzz but why did this not hppens with lighter guage strings? It looks like your low E and A saddles are almost all the way back to intonate; I bet if the A saddle was further forward, the string woudl not touch the screw head. I've not seen the screw heads interfering with strings before. Makes me wonder if the A string saddle notch is too deep; if it is very obviously deep compared to others, you could just change it, maybe swap it out with another. Does your bridge lean backwards a little?

Read this thread:
https://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?149541-Saddle-screws-question

wow, thanks so much for that link. the low e was the furthest back. i did adjust the a string saddle a little bit forward and there is no open buzzing now. i am still getting some buzzing around the 9-12 frets though. hopefully some truss rod adjusting will take care of that.

thanks so much for everyones help and info. nice to be a part of this forum.

i think i am going to go back to 10's though, not sure why i switched to 11's lol.