• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Turd Day - 1961 LP SG

J.D.

+1 on the Grovers.

What's up with the plug under the ABR-1 post?

Gold Tone

+1 on the Grovers.

What's up with the plug under the ABR-1 post?

Good eye! It looks like there is a plug under both posts.

Hmm...is this a Special converted to Standard?

Any marks on headstock from strip tuners?

Phatfrank

Good eye! It looks like there is a plug under both posts.

Hmm...is this a Special converted to Standard?

Any marks on headstock from strip tuners?

no, the marks are clearly from klusons. I don’t know what the plugs are from, seems a bit strange.

Gold Tone

Ah yes, I see that now

Well she’s got history and a couple of scars, and surely a pleasure to play

Congrats again!

Phatfrank

Name your guitar "Trench Foot"...like in WWI, Western France, the entrenched Scottish "highlanders" are pounding the enemy.

If that was my guitar, I would consider replacing, as you have alluded to, the heavily "worn" fingerboard with an equivalent Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard, in order to restore/enhance the guitar's playability. :fc

i am giving this some serious thought. Apparantly crazyparts sell complete braz boards with inlays, anyone here tried these? «My» luthier is extremely capable so I’m certain it would turn out great.

Bruce R

What is the width of the headstock, at the widest point, of this SG? I am trying to compile a list to get some kind of norm, as the SG Standard widths tend to vary. Thanks!

garywright

I’d pretty quick ditch the Asian Grovers and get some nice milk bottle USA Grovers from the 70’s. They’re cheap and easy to find.

that would be a good idea ..unfortunately, I haven’t seen plentiful or cheap.

Gold Tone

I’ve never had a problem finding them when I need. Most recently a near mint set of Gold 70’s Grovers that went on my recent 2019 SG Custom. Paid $180

Grim

Congrats, that guitar looks amazing.
I actually had an eye on it myself when it was first advertised:)

Mars Hall

The Indiana shaped hole under the gaurd must of been where he kept his weed!:laugh2:

crashbelt

I'm just about to put an aged re-issue Sideways Vibrola on my refin 61.

Totally useless but they look very cool and would fit the 3 holes in the top of yours.

Phatfrank

I'm just about to put an aged re-issue Sideways Vibrola on my refin 61.

Totally useless but they look very cool and would fit the 3 holes in the top of yours.

where did you find that one? I have a regular aged Vibrola from Crazyparts on a CS SG and it is really good, but haven’t found a sideways one. Thx:)

crashbelt

I just checked Crazyparts website and they have the reissue sideways vibrola in nickel plate for 259 Euros. They can probably do some ageing for extra cost if you ask. Would look very cool on your guitar but need serious ageing to look right. There are all original ones on the parts market - there may still be one on eBay asking nearly a thousand dollars, but that's very expensive unless you're restoring a museum piece and they don't work well or help tuning issues as most people know.

Phatfrank

I just checked Crazyparts website and they have the reissue sideways vibrola in nickel plate for 259 Euros. They can probably do some ageing for extra cost if you ask. Would look very cool on your guitar but need serious ageing to look right. There are all original ones on the parts market - there may still be one on eBay asking nearly a thousand dollars, but that's very expensive unless you're restoring a museum piece and they don't work well or help tuning issues as most people know.

thx, I found it as well. The old ones are terrible so will order one from crazyparts:)

jrgtr42

The Indiana shaped hole under the gaurd must of been where he kept his weed!:laugh2:

I was wondering what was up with that gouge there - though unscrewing the whole PG everytime you want a hit would get a bit old...

Aloha_Ark

Filthy guitar. Looks worse than a hound dog that has not been bathed in 3 years. Must sound awesome. Is the neck intact around the heel, or was it glued back on? The Throbak should sound good on the guitar, but if it doesn't, try a Tom Holmes or a T-top.

I had a 1959 LP Jr which was a player grade guitar. It had a cutout for a switch, right under the pickguard. Similar to the OP's pic. Learned it was housing a kill switch. Why? The output jack was corroded enough that it behaved like a diode, and would cause a horrible sound to come out of the guitar, any ole time. I said screw it and put a gold jack into its place. Functionality beats form in my book.