• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Fakeburst Corner....

Zapper

These capacitors are original. Introduced sometime in 1960. Not all bursts have Bumblebees.

I wonder why they changed them? Cost? Availability? Anyone know if they sound any different? Tom? :hmm

Zapper

Didn't they give you some crap about having to do a headstock repair on one of your guitars? How did that turn out?

Tell me about it..! They gave me crap about everything Tim...! But thank Heavens they did... saved me about £30k so it did all turn out ok in the end...! :):salude

goldtop0

Oh dear... I think I might have been a 'flogger' AND a 'tyre kicker' drifting round Denmark Street in my teenage years, demonstrating to all my skill at playing 'Smoke on the Water'..... Happy days! :hee:hank

I definitely was too.........the salesmen in one of the big music stores here in Auckland absolutely loathed us school kids.....they couldn't see the big picture:lol

pinefd

Sooner or later, the fakers are going to figure out how to create the chew mark.

Exhibit A:

full

Frank

pinefd

What guitar is that pinefd? Interesting 2-tone lacquer..! :hmm

Oops! I just realized I posted a pic with the widow's peak outlined above. Below is the original photo, and the one I had originally intended to post. And by 2-tone lacquer, are you referring to the difference in color between the body and the area under the control plate? The whole body started off the same color, but with exposure to UV light, the whole back faded except for the area under the control plate. And as to your question about what guitar it is, I'll give you a hint...it was built in the U.K.

full

Frank

fused

Couple of things - having seen the video the 'obvious issues' don't look quite so obvious when looking at the whole guitar, it's easy to miss the detail, especially for an excited buyer.

After an experience in Birmingham in the late 90's I was put off the vintage market completely. I was at the NEC for the music live show back when it had some good dealers selling old gear.
I was in early on the trade day and spotted an old Les Paul 'burst on a famous music shops stand for £1.5k - on inspection it had a '59 stamp, looked aged. I queried the assistant who said they'd just bought it from the guy who made it..... The guitar was sold within half an hour to a dutch vintage guitar dealer who also had a studio gear hire business.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

Zapper

Couple of things - having seen the video the 'obvious issues' don't look quite so obvious when looking at the whole guitar, it's easy to miss the detail, especially for an excited buyer.

After an experience in Birmingham in the late 90's I was put off the vintage market completely. I was at the NEC for the music live show back when it had some good dealers selling old gear.
I was in early on the trade day and spotted an old Les Paul 'burst on a famous music shops stand for £1.5k - on inspection it had a '59 stamp, looked aged. I queried the assistant who said they'd just bought it from the guy who made it..... The guitar was sold within half an hour to a dutch vintage guitar dealer who also had a studio gear hire business.

Caveat Emptor as they say.

Like you say, VERY easy to miss the detail... That's why if I ever try to buy another Burst I'll defo be taking it to the experts mentioned in my video...

And great story re the NEC. The fakers are extremely good at it these days..! :)

mipstoo

Oops! I just realized I posted a pic with the widow's peak outlined above. Below is the original photo, and the one I had originally intended to post. And by 2-tone lacquer, are you referring to the difference in color between the body and the area under the control plate? The whole body started off the same color, but with exposure to UV light, the whole back faded except for the area under the control plate. And as to your question about what guitar it is, I'll give you a hint...it was built in the U.K.

full

Frank
Looks like a TM

somebodyelseuk

Glad you got it straightened out.
I have to say, an unauthentic pricetag would have me suspicious... Like the NEC guitar. At the start of the 90s,they'd have been pushing 5 figures for a 59, approaching six by the end of the 90s.
I actually feel fortunate i can't afford one. I'm looking at R9s, and I've seen plenty of suspect examples of those recently.

goldtop0

Yeah, Terry Morgan knew how to make a good fake. Interesting how the U.K has such a vibrant cottage industry for this stuff...

That's because they were starved of LPs etc when they were younger:hmm

ourmaninthenorth

Interesting how the U.K has such a vibrant cottage industry for this stuff...

No more interesting than the USA equivalents.

I'm sick to the back fucking teeth of this "the UK is the home of all fakes" shit.

Selective memories and glass houses.