• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ABR-1 Issues

El Gringo

Okay... big update!
The problem has been resolved! It turns out that the issue was coming from the saddle screw of the D string. Although the screw was seated properly and there was complete string attention pushing down on the saddle, the pointed tip was somehow worn down. Causing it to buzz and rattle within the hole that it sits. I ordered an extra saddle screw, aged it, and installed it today. All is right in the world. Nothing quite like a guitar with fresh strings and a perfect set up
:dude:

Before I go I would like to quickly touch upon something @El Gringo mentioned regarding the loctite/nail polish. Yes… It is a huge pain in the ass to remove. I would not recommend using any sort of permanent or semi permanent adhesive to try to eliminate rattling or buzz. I spent the better part of two hours scraping off nail polish from my bridge. And of course you will have to adjust the bridge again at some point, at which time you will pay the price for your quick fix.
Thanks to anyone who offered advice and best of luck for anyone else facing a similar issue!

Super glad all is well and you were able to resolve the issue . A little screw like that causing all that trouble . Lesson learned for me about the screws on the ABR-1 bridge . Thanks for the update and have fun rocking . Also I think if I was having such a to do with an ABR- 1 bridge I would replace it in a heartbeat ,with the exception if it was a vintage instrument .

Coda and El Gringo... I completely agree with you both. It’s crazy to think how detailed and well-made most Gibsons are, not to mention that they just got a lot of stuff right the first time around in the 50s and 60s. Unfortunately though, it seems that the ABR-1 wasn’t one of those things. It’s actually really funny to see the progression of Gibson’s tailpiece and bridge design. Starting in the early 50s and evolving all the way till the late 60s. They started with a wraparound tailpiece and changed it several times before getting to the the ABR-1. Clearly the most recent versions of the ABR-1 are great, but when compared to other bridges they’re definitely not perfect. But I guess if you are a vintage guitar nerd like myself you just have to put up with the imperfections and headaches. Considering the tailpiece I was having issues with goes to a 1960 reissue collectors choice, I don’t think I’ll be swapping it out for something new anytime soon. Fingers crossed there are no more issues.

If you are ever interested in what a perfect bridge and saddle design looks like IMO, check out Brian Mays red special. I have an authentic replica of his guitar and find it to be one of the best instruments I’ve ever played. Brian and his dad designed and built a bridge and tremolo system from scratch. It’s amazing how two men in a shed could produce a better tremolo and bridge than Fender, Gibson, or Bigsby could have ever dreamt of LOL!

Minibucker

I go through this often, it's usually a sitar-like buzzy overtone....problem is that between the Historic ABRs (this one with no wire), a TonePros, a Callahan, and a Faber....the Historic stock one is always what I end up coming back to as the best sounding and responding to me. So I often gave to do some forensic work as discussed here to try and address...sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

Coda

I have just replaced the rubbish ABR that came with my LPR (sorry Gibson) with an ABM aluminium ABR.

The reason I switched was due to all the weird vibrations-buzzing-overtones that will appear unexpectedly for no apparent reason and drive me mad. So far no weirdness from the ABM.

I now have a steel (Callaham) and aluminium (ABM) ABR. I just need a brass one to complete the set.

Minibucker

I want to try the brass ABM, did you have to order direct from them overseas?

Coda

minibucker: "overseas" technically, yes - the English channel (I'm in the UK, a small island next to mainland Europe, where Jimmy Page lives). ABM are great people to deal with.

Minibucker

minibucker: "overseas" technically, yes - the English channel (I'm in the UK, a small island next to mainland Europe, where Jimmy Page lives). ABM are great people to deal with.
Ah, I should have checked your location. I'll give them a holler, thanks.

Arnold M.

I have just replaced the rubbish ABR that came with my LPR (sorry Gibson) with an ABM aluminium ABR.

The reason I switched was due to all the weird vibrations-buzzing-overtones that will appear unexpectedly for no apparent reason and drive me mad. So far no weirdness from the ABM.

I now have a steel (Callaham) and aluminium (ABM) ABR. I just need a brass one to complete the set.

the current Gibson ABR is cast or injection molded ... there is shrinkage as part of the cooling/casting process ... tolerances are sloppy, surfaces are not 100% true , the end product is weak .. but it's like the old way it was done just lesser quality, I got sick of the sloppy saddles, screws etc, went with a Callaham and never looked back

Bumhucker

Thread resurrection as my R8 ABR1 buzzing on G was driving me nuts. Clear silicone on/in the screw threads of the offending bridge adjustment. Invisible, only takes a tiny dab and easily removable (vs Red or even Blue LocTite). Worked for me -

Dave P

I had an R9 years ago where the bridge was improperly machined. One saddle wasn't making contact with the top of the bridge. The saddle was rocking from side to side om the intonation screw and buzzing when it was sort of making contact on one side. I carefully filed the bridge screw slot a little deeper and fixed the problem.

Gibsonn

¡Hola! Quería actualizar mi Gibson Abr1 histórica porque zumbaban los tornillos y compré un puente Crazy parts Área 59 abr1. Ahora sigo con el mismo problema😡

Last edited: