• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

New Song: “Starting From Zero”

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
https://soundcloud.com/eddriscollcom/starting-from-zero

This was a song I wrote in 2018, and started to dust-off a couple of weeks ago, because I wanted to hear how the DIed guitar solo would sound with a couple of pieces of gear I acquired after I recorded it. As I was working on the tune during The Big Lockdown, the title took on a whole new meaning! Obviously, that was completely unintended when I wrote the song.

The guitar solos are my 2000 Les Paul R9 DIed with a Radial J-48 box, into the Eventide H9000 with a combination of their Crushstation fuzz tone and their recreation of Roland’s Dimension D modulation effect. This was fed into the Strymon Iridium amp modeling pedal set for a Marshall Plexi with a Celestion Vintage 30 in an open back 2×12″ cab.

The rhythm guitars are my 1998 Fender Nashville Telecaster and 2007 Gibson Everly Brothers, both tuned to Open-G. The bass is my 1983 Fender P-Bass. Drums are Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 with an assortment of shuffle patterns, and the horns are a Korg M-1 software synthesizer. The hand percussion (cowbells and tambourines) were parts I played in-between fiddling with the re-DI-ed the guitar solo. Here's the re-amp set-up. Note can of Fresca for maximum rock and roll attitude. :laugh2:

i-6gD2GkM-L.jpg

zahou

I still have this song and the self titled album Starting From Zero on the original clear cassette tape released in 1990 from A&M Records. Pete Rock produced this LP titled single.
Kodi nox

Last edited:

Lapen_9

Who would know that this title will describe our reality now so well?