• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

A pedal order with true bypass and buffer

D Strange

So if your core sound is a les paul into an ocd (always on) into a Marshall how would you go about sorting the order of these pedals and cable runs so that the core sound you love is unaffected when the other pedals are off bypassed.

Bit confused as people often say buffers change the tone not in a good way but... With two 20ft cable, true bypass pedals and some patch cable there will be some change in tone so surely a buffer will be needed somewhere in there.

Here's what we got

2x good quality 20ft cables

4x good quality 1ft patch cables

Fuzz face (true bypass I believe)

OCD (always on)

Wah (true bypass or buffered)

Boss TU2 (buffered)

TC electronic Buffer ( if needed)

thejaf

I'd put the tuner with it's built in buffer first, then wah, distortion/boost, and then any modulation after. With 40+ ft of cable I'd want a good strong signal hitting the amp.

All the true bypass is cool, but once the drummer starts playing you'll never know the difference anyway :hee

PaulD

Generally speaking Fuzz Face pedals work best when they are first in the chain and before any buffers. They have a low input impedance that loads down the pickups and this is what makes them sound the way they do, putting them after a buffer usually doesn't work well.