• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Considering this 1959 LP Special

http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/1959-gibson-les-paul-special-expert-opinions-needed.113260/

I attached a thread with photos of a guitar I’m considering. I couldn’t remember how to load the photos here.

I appreciate anyone with an eye for detail giving me their opinion. I can’t try before I buy. Seller is a guitar shop with a good rep. He says all original except case. No breaks. Plays great.

I have not decided anything yet. I’m just curious about this instrument and may extend an offer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

garywright

I may have owned and sold that one 10+ years ago ...what’s the serial #

garywright

Mine was 910631 ..there wasn’t too many made with the toggle switch in that location ..you sure on the # ?

Mine was 910631 ..there wasn’t too many made with the toggle switch in that location ..you sure on the # ?

it could be 631. The photo is not clear.

lets assume it is. Did you like the guitar.....thoughts?

i will ask seller for serial number.

garywright

Ok ..I found the seller link of this guitar ..yes, it was mine ..you’ll have to be careful as the seller stresses No Returns ..and to review the pics carefully ..note: in the description he doesn’t state completely original but “Vintage Original” which could mean to some that it’s not a Historic but a true original, which it is ..what it isn’t is a completely original guitar ..I don’t remember all the particulars but it has replacement pots ..in my mind it was fairly weighty and not the 7.4 weight mentioned ..my guess would be over 8lb. ..i think the strip tuners are mounted over top a previous Grover install ..it didn’t have any breaks or weakness at the neck/heel joint like some of the early dc specials had due to the neck pup being a 1/4” or so from the fingerboard ..it did sound really good and had more of a beefy ‘58 round neck than the typical ‘59 ..lastly, I think it had a badass bridge when I got it and replaced it with a pigtail .studs may be replacements as well

Ok ..I found the seller link of this guitar ..yes, it was mine ..you’ll have to be careful as the seller stresses No Returns ..and to review the pics carefully ..note: in the description he doesn’t state completely original but “Vintage Original” which could mean to some that it’s not a Historic but a true original, which it is ..what it isn’t is a completely original guitar ..I don’t remember all the particulars but it has replacement pots ..in my mind it was fairly weighty and not the 7.4 weight mentioned ..my guess would be over 8lb. ..i think the strip tuners are mounted over top a previous Grover install ..it didn’t have any breaks or weakness at the neck/heel joint like some of the early dc specials had due to the neck pup being a 1/4” or so from the fingerboard ..it did sound really good and had more of a beefy ‘58 round neck than the typical ‘59 ..lastly, I think it had a badass bridge when I got it and replaced it with a pigtail .studs may be replacements as well

Thanks. What do you recall of it as a player and his price point? I do like the beefy neck you describe. Pretty amazing that you actually owned that guitar. Thanks gain.

garywright

not much to add ..bought it for less than 2k and sold it for more than 3k ..kept it for maybe a year before selling it ..like I said this is going back 10-15 years ..I think it may have had a re-fret also ..seller claims very resonant ..from what I recall acoustically it wasn’t, but sounded very good plugged in ..fwiw, I don’t buy anything without being allowed an approval period ..offer what you will

not much to add ..bought it for less than 2k and sold it for more than 3k ..kept it for maybe a year before selling it ..like I said this is going back 10-15 years ..I think it may have had a re-fret also ..seller claims very resonant ..from what I recall acoustically it wasn’t, but sounded very good plugged in ..fwiw, I don’t buy anything without being allowed an approval period ..offer what you will

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

garywright

you’re welcome, you gonna make an offer ? ..fwiw, I wish I had a close right side pic of the body from the jackplate to the horn tip showing the grain pattern..there’s a reason I ask

you’re welcome, you gonna make an offer ? ..fwiw, I wish I had a close right side pic of the body from the jackplate to the horn tip showing the grain pattern..there’s a reason I ask

I asked the seller to allow a 72 hour return period and he declined. If he agreed I would have made a serious offer.

im curious....can you reveal the issue?

garywright

the early dc specials with the toggle switch in that location are far and few between ..since I’ve owned it I’ve come across an old photo of a known rock star using one like it but would need the grain side shot to confirm ..and no I won’t say who but if it did turn out to have been his I’d buy it back my own self :jim

the early dc specials with the toggle switch in that location are far and few between ..since I’ve owned it I’ve come across an old photo of a known rock star using one like it but would need the grain side shot to confirm ..and no I won’t say who but if it did turn out to have been his I’d buy it back my own self :jim

I decided not to make an offer on it.

garywright

still, I wouldn’t have paid his asking price ..I no longer see it listed.

still, I wouldn’t have paid his asking price ..I no longer see it listed.

It does not show as sold on reverb. It shows as expired listing. I was going to offer 4500 with top end of 5k. I told him I was contemplating an offer if he gave me a 72 hour return window. He declined and with the obvious inconsistencies in the listing I passed. Thanks for your feedback!

garywright

you did the right thing ..even though it had no structural issues when I owned it I would have still wanted an approval period ..btw, what’s in your avatar..r9 ? ..looks pretty fine.

you did the right thing ..even though it had no structural issues when I owned it I would have still wanted an approval period ..btw, what’s in your avatar..r9 ? ..looks pretty fine.
Thanks. It’s a Collector’s choice #26, Brad Whitford. It’s a great guitar.