• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Kirk Hammetts Greeny

goldtop0

A question that's been bugging me for too long is

Has the Green/Moore/Hammett LP got a 'tree trunk' neck.
Those of you who have had the good fortune to play it and handle it will know one way or the other.

ourmaninthenorth

It's no slim jim....but I wouldn't say tree trunk.

Ma6k0D1.jpg

kqFb0nm.jpg

AJkMcZu.jpg

(Photo credit : it was either me, or someone else...can't remember)

Dave P

It had a pretty full sized neck from what I remember

goldtop0

It's no slim jim....but I wouldn't say tree trunk.

Ma6k0D1.jpg

kqFb0nm.jpg

AJkMcZu.jpg

(Photo credit : it was either me, or someone else...can't remember)

Thanks again Paul, great pics:2cool........and it was an interesting piece of terminology that PG used all those years ago when describing that...........'it has a neck like a tree trunk' he said when discussing it in comparison to EC's Beano.
It looks not unlike my '13 R6 that is .973 1st fret and 1.05 at the 12th.......... but possibly Greeny might have be a tad more depth 12-14 it looks like.
Tried the neck on a '52 GT(only one I've seen in the country) many years ago and that was baseball bat sizing like a U shape '50s Tele.....much fuller and fatter by far.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
wow--looks like a Les Paul neck. What other magical qualities can be attributed to this guitar, for God's sake?? The Peter Green LP is no different than other fine Sunbursts--the tone is a function of who is playing it...

goldtop0

wow--looks like a Les Paul neck. What other magical qualities can be attributed to this guitar, for God's sake?? The Peter Green LP is no different than other fine Sunbursts--the tone is a function of who is playing it...

Read my opening post and the other contributing posts..........nothing magical about it so far as I can tell.........what do you think?

thin sissy

ourmaninthenorth: Thanks for those pics, never seen them before :salude

Although it's impossible to see what the neck feels like (since one cannot see the shoulders), I like those pics mostly because that's the thing one sees when standing up playing guitar and looking down at the side of the neck. Cool brown/purple/red back on that guitar too!

Rich R, great post :)

F-Hole

The Peter Green LP is no different than other fine Sunbursts--the tone is a function of who is playing it...

I disagree.

To my ears it has quite a different tone. Don't know why, but it's there. We A/B/C/D/E/F/G'd it against six other 'bursts (well, five other 'bursts and a GT)........and it does sound different.

goldtop0

ourmaninthenorth: Thanks for those pics, never seen them before :salude

Rich R, great post :)

No thin sissy it's not a great post at all.
Rich R goes completely off the topic of the thread(the size of the neck) and introduced the tone factor(for some unknown reason) and talks about 'the tone is the function of who is playing it':wah and then you chip in with your 'shoulder' post...........I don't get it, have you two decided that the thread needs a bit of spicing up or whatever:hmm
The thread's about the 'neck size' fellas.............nothing more........and I'm satisfied with the helpful contribution from other forum members that my question in post #1 has been answered.

ourmaninthenorth

Thanks again Paul, great pics:2cool........and it was an interesting piece of terminology that PG used all those years ago when describing that...........'it has a neck like a tree trunk' he said when discussing it in comparison to EC's Beano.
It looks not unlike my '13 R6 that is .973 1st fret and 1.05 at the 12th.......... but possibly Greeny might have be a tad more depth 12-14 it looks like.
Tried the neck on a '52 GT(only one I've seen in the country) many years ago and that was baseball bat sizing like a U shape '50s Tele.....much fuller and fatter by far.

In comparison to a 52 GT, everything feels a bit slimmer....:laugh2::laugh2:

I'm not joking Steve, I didn't know whether to play this one, or climb up it and hang some telephone cables. Enormous, and utterly fantastic neck, love em like this.

lHdL3YU.jpg

( photo credit: The Missus, courtesy of it's owner Ben of The Gear Garage UK. )

thin sissy

No thin sissy it's not a great post at all.
Rich R goes completely off the topic of the thread(the size of the neck) and introduced the tone factor(for some unknown reason) and talks about 'the tone is the function of who is playing it':wah and then you chip in with your 'shoulder' post...........I don't get it, have you two decided that the thread needs a bit of spicing up or whatever:hmm
The thread's about the 'neck size' fellas.............nothing more........and I'm satisfied with the helpful contribution from other forum members that my question in post #1 has been answered.
Well, here I go getting what I deserve for being sarcastic on the internet again.

I didn't think Rich's post was great, I thought it was shit and didn't make sense to post in this thread. If I'd said it face to face, it would have been obvious :) . I apologize and have to remind myself to not try to use dry humour on forums.

As for the rest of my post, I honestly just wanted to thank ourmaninthenorth for posting pics I hadn't seen before. I also thought shoulders on the neck were relevant to the size discussion, as they absolutely IME make a difference on how the size of a neck feels.

But as I understand it now you are only interested in the exact thickness of the neck and not the profile?

goldtop0

Well, here I go getting what I deserve for being sarcastic on the internet again.

I didn't think Rich's post was great, I thought it was shit and didn't make sense to post in this thread. If I'd said it face to face, it would have been obvious :) . I apologize and have to remind myself to not try to use dry humour on forums.

As for the rest of my post, I honestly just wanted to thank ourmaninthenorth for posting pics I hadn't seen before. I also thought shoulders on the neck were relevant to the size discussion, as they absolutely IME make a difference on how the size of a neck feels.

But as I understand it now you are only interested in the exact thickness of the neck and not the profile?

Not a prob:)
The shoulders are of relevance and if I had the LP in hand myself it would be apparent as to its profile..........but that hasn't been possible over the years.
It was PG's tree trunk description that fascinated me and I envisioned a robust '52 neck on a '59......which isn't the case.

goldtop0

In comparison to a 52 GT, everything feels a bit slimmer....:laugh2::laugh2:

I'm not joking Steve, I didn't know whether to play this one, or climb up it and hang some telephone cables. Enormous, and utterly fantastic neck, love em like this.

lHdL3YU.jpg

( photo credit: The Missus, courtesy of it's owner Ben of The Gear Garage UK. )

Good pic Paul, thanks to Audrey also:2cool.......... takes me back to my experience with one in 1994 at the Auckland Rockshop.
I'd dearly love to get one as I really like P90s and fat necks. Got a pair of '52s recently for my R6 which made a good difference to that LP.

thin sissy

Not a prob:)
The shoulders are of relevance and if I had the LP in hand myself it would be apparent as to its profile..........but that hasn't been possible over the years.
It was PG's tree trunk description that fascinated me and I envisioned a robust '52 neck on a '59......which isn't the case.
Cheers man :salude

It's strange, I seem to remember reading posts here on Greeny back in the day when Gary had recently sold it. Some of them mentioned how the neck was big or maybe an unusual shape? But I haven't been able to find those posts since so I think I might remember it incorrectly! It sure didn't seem to hamper Peter or Gary's playing :)

goldtop0

Cheers man :salude

It's strange, I seem to remember reading posts here on Greeny back in the day when Gary had recently sold it. Some of them mentioned how the neck was big or maybe an unusual shape? But I haven't been able to find those posts since so I think I might remember it incorrectly! It sure didn't seem to hamper Peter or Gary's playing :)

Yes well a lot of the comments as reported over the years can fall into the area of 'chinese whispers' after a time.
Over on the MLPF there was a post recently that PG didn't like the LP..........and so it goes on doesn't it.

Jim85IROC

I disagree.

To my ears it has quite a different tone. Don't know why, but it's there. We A/B/C/D/E/F/G'd it against six other 'bursts (well, five other 'bursts and a GT)........and it does sound different.
Agreed. No first-hand experience at all, but even in watching old Gary Moore concerts, you can tell when he's playing Greeny and when he's playing a different Les Paul. Greeny has a much smoother upper midrange and top end, no matter what pickup he's on.