• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup cover green oxidation - gassing pickguard ?

Unbound Dot Neck

I have replaced the pick guard on my 67 L5ces 4 yrs ago, yet the green stuff seems to be coming back on the gold plate covers toward the new pick guard. Mirabella clone

Best practices ? Worried it will get into the windings eventially .

:hmm :salude

Thanks in advance, Chris

JimR56

Interesting. Do you have any photos you could share?

I went through this nightmare with my '63 L5CT a number of years ago. As I recall, I had a similar experience, where the greening continued a bit after I got rid of the guard. It stopped after a while, but I can't remember how long it took. Four years seems too long, but I don't know how bad your situation was compared to mine. Anyway, I assume you're not one of these people who keeps the original (decomposing) pickguard in the case pocket. I've heard that some people actually do this, as if it will make the guitar more sellable/valuable because it's an original part. Saving the binding is fine, but I don't get the appeal of being able to tell a new owner: "Look, I still have the original pickguard... even though it's turning to dust". Some people keep them in a plastic bag inside the case, but either way it makes no sense to me.

So, if the outgassing went on long enough in a closed case, the gas can go through the case lining and into the wooden frame of the case. I have no idea how one would counter–act that. Even if the chemical is only in the case lining, it would be best to try to clean/vacuum it, and leave it open outdoors for awhile.

I would leave the guitar out of the case as much as possible, which may be obvious. If cleaning the case doesn't solve the problem, I suppose you could get a new case and keep the old one if it's original. Over time, it might air out enough to be useable again.

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more insightful, and I do feel your pain. And for anybody out there with valuable guitars with old tortoise-style guards, keep an eye on those suckers... REGULARLY.

Unbound Dot Neck

New pick guard an new case, as of 4 years ago. Just seems like its the creepin crud..
Slow but sure. My luithier cleaned the covers up when I first got it. Green fuzz on gold plate
Original guard is long gone, hehe

Thanks ! :##

Unbound Dot Neck

Looking for a gentle way to remove the green fuzz, without too much harm to gold plating

thxs !