• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

MESA Mark III Purple Stripe combo

brandtkronholm

Nice demo!
Indeed. This is a supreme set-up!

Here's mine. I put the Boogie (1989, red stripe, four power tubes) on the Marshall 4x12 for big rooms and outdoor shows. The 4x12 is 1971/2? with original greenbacks (25 watt?) It was wired for 3.75 ohms making the load on the Boogie mismatched - but it only blew up once! (Blowed up reel good!) Thank goodness I was using several amps on stage at the time so I had a plan B!

I used the lead channel only and did the rest form the guitar. No pedals other than a Vox wah and a Hughes and Ketner rotosphere which went through the back of the amp anyway.

If I can recall - without digging the amp out of its case:
I never had the master more than 3.5 or so.
I put the gain at 10, bass low (2 or 3?), cranked the mids (7+/-) and kept the treble reasonable at 6 or so. I forget what the presence was set to...
I think I had everything pulled/shifted.
I find that cranking the mids moves air much more aggressively. I can really roll back the volume on the guitar and be subtle, but still punchy-n-crunchy. When the volume on the guitar comes back up it turns into a hero wielding that singing sword!

LP345PRSB.jpg

Playing a Mark III (or any other proper Boogie) is like opening the ark of the covenant: face-melting!

Indiana-Jones-Temple-of-Doom-Melting-Face.jpg