• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

*** 1952 Les Paul Headstock Repair ***

MapleFlame

While I'm working on the back profile I'll take an iron and a wet rag and steam out most of the dents.

IMG_9310_zps5ef9dce6.jpg

Getting close to completion but still a couple things left to do. I'll remove most of the mahogany with my sander at the lower part of the headstock.

IMG_9306_zpsddcf11ae.jpg

I'll do the final profile by hand using a rasp, files & sand blocks.

IMG_9311_zps4124cf6a.jpg

Ready for the MOP logo. I position and route out for the logo.

IMG_9317_zps4ec400d2.jpg

I route out for the MOP logo glue it in and fill the gaps with resin filler with black tint.

IMG_9318_zpse33f294e.jpg

Sand the filler flush.

IMG_9322_zps127767fc.jpg

Thank you for Sharing your restoration process

marshall1987

Really nice that you can steam out small dents/dings in the mahogany back and neck simply by applying a moistened cloth and a steam iron to the dent(s). Does it work with maple? How long do you have to apply the steam to the wood in order to repair the dents? Does this method work with ugly scars and scratches too? I assume you must work with bare wood with no finish residue.

zhivago

This sort of thread makes the internet a better place. :salude

boogieongtr

You can steam out dings on most types of hardwoods. The more porous the wood the easier it is. Mahogany is a very porous wood and you can steam out scratches, dings etc. Yes it has to be the bare wood. Don't try it on a lacquer finish it will blush the finish. You get the most out of the first time so I will put drops of water on the dings and let it soak in. I'll repeat it several times and also make my rag wet. You can repeat the process a couple of times. After steaming with the wet rag I'll take the iron and carefully move it over the area I steamed to help dry the wood. I'll then take an air hose and blow all the water out of the wood. I'll then put the wood in my cure room, crank up the heat to 85-90 and let it hang for a week then it's ready to sand and finish.

The headstock is ready for finish.

IMG_9324_zps159efdc6.jpg

Here's the completed repair:

IMG_9320_zpsedc5a19a.jpg

IMG_9321_zps6bae7362.jpg

IMG_2377_zpsbea6c42c.jpg

IMG_2576_zps020456e0.jpg

IMG_2575_zpsdc23656e.jpg

IMG_2561_zps385f76a3.jpg

marshall1987

Bravo! :salude. Your repair work on that mangled, '52 Les Paul neck/headstock is remarkable. You have resurrected and rehabilitated an old "wounded warrior" Les Paul Goldtop, and magically brought it back to life! I am really impressed! :salude

This repair method wins out over a complete re-neck repair without question.

Maxmc

The end result is stunning! Have you pictures of the whole guitar?

J.D.

Looks like a high quality repair for sure.

Again, an observation and just curious...looks like the Gibson inlay logo placement is higher than original.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Beautiful work. Awesome, helpful post!

Thanks a lot! :salude

57Strat777

Beautiful work! Amazing!

How much would a repair like that cost if you charged for it?

S a m

Brilliant work, great presentation, tremendous result.

You didn't try to 'dark it over' so that the scarf is obscured. High-class!

boogieongtr

Looks like a high quality repair for sure.

Again, an observation and just curious...looks like the Gibson inlay logo placement is higher than original.

Before I got to that point in the process a guy came to my shop and bought the guitar. He wanted a 59 so I moved it up.

Beautiful work! Amazing!

How much would a repair like that cost if you charged for it?
I didn't post the thread to try to get work. I retired last year and now pick and choose projects I want to do. I don't think it's proper to post a repair price on a forum. If someone contacts me thru my website that's different.

Bravo! :salude. Your repair work on that mangled, '52 Les Paul neck/headstock is remarkable. You have resurrected and rehabilitated an old "wounded warrior" Les Paul Goldtop, and magically brought it back to life! I am really impressed! :salude

This repair method wins out over a complete re-neck repair without question.

Thanks, going into the repair I thought a new neck would be the way to go. After completion the scarf joint headstock repair wins hands down in my book.

Brilliant work, great presentation, tremendous result.

You didn't try to 'dark it over' so that the scarf is obscured. High-class!

Thank you, there's no sense trying to hide that big of repair. I think it looks sexy, just another old war wound for 68 year old girl.

The end result is stunning! Have you pictures of the whole guitar?

I will but I don't want to start another war. The guy who bought the guitar wanted a flame top. Hence it became a retop.

IMG_0395_zps9f101fbb.jpg

IMG_2577_zpsac3c5b6d.jpg

IMG_2553_zpsfec42962.jpg

djcmusician

wow! That's a stunner!

Before I got to that point in the process a guy came to my shop and bought the guitar. He wanted a 59 so I moved it up.

I didn't post the thread to try to get work. I retired last year and now pick and choose projects I want to do. I don't think it's proper to post a repair price on a forum. If someone contacts me thru my website that's different.

Thanks, going into the repair I thought a new neck would be the way to go. After completion the scarf joint headstock repair wins hands down in my book.

Thank you, there's no sense trying to hide that big of repair. I think it looks sexy, just another old war wound for 68 year old girl.

I will but I don't want to start another war. The guy who bought the guitar wanted a flame top. Hence it became a retop.

IMG_0395_zps9f101fbb.jpg

IMG_2577_zpsac3c5b6d.jpg

IMG_2553_zpsfec42962.jpg

marshall1987

Imagine for a moment.....if Gibson Custom employed master craftsmen (like the OP) building a limited number of "Masterbuilt" Les Pauls, similar to the Fender Masterbuilt, Custom Shop offerings. :dude: I don't know what they're waiting for....

JPP-1

Wow. Great job. I wish I knew how to work with wood like that.

In the first picture you mention the headstock wood has rotted. Any idea what caused that?