• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Quality of Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017 electronics

SimoI

Hi, newbie here! :eek:la

I'm planning to replace the pickups of my Gibson Les Paul Tribute 2017 in order to get more dynamics, wideness and 'that' vintage sound. The original pickups are 490t/r and I'm going for 57 Classic/+.

But I'm wondering that Tribute being a cheaper guitar, are the other electronics good or has there been reduction of quality to get the price down? Mainly thinking should I replace the circuit board and go for 50's style wiring at the same time.

-simo

PaulD

If your only concern is quality there is no reason to change anything, the components used on the PCB are of good quality, the Gibson branded pots are made by CTS. The only reason for changing it would be if you wanted to use different value / taper pots or for aesthetic reasons if you particularly wanted traditional style wiring. If you just wanted 50's style wiring that can be done without taking out the PCB with a fairly simple modification - much cheaper than replacing everything just for the sake of having 50's type wiring.

SimoI

My only concern is the tone, so I guess no need to touch the wiring.

Thanks!

El Gringo

Are the Pots in the Tribute 500K ? If they are 300K I could see changing out the harness in addition to the pickups , as I am very familiar with the 57 Classics which are a good and well liked pickup you are on the right track . One thing to consider with the 57 Classics is that there is a 57 Classic Plus for the bridge which I would recommend as it gives you a higher output for your lead work .

SimoI

Yes, at least according the specs they are 500K. I wasn't so sure about the 57 Classic Plus yet, but my mind is turning more and more to that direction.

Thanks!