• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Klon circuit with Les Paul and Marshall

D Strange

Looking at klon style pedals specifically the Centura.

Wondering how it would fit with a Les Paul into a dirty Marshall, anyone do this?

My Marshall (jcm 800 2203) has 6550 power tubes so a tighter bottom and a little less midrange than el34s.

How would a klon circuit work as a boost and also with the gain up going into my amp when the amp has its pre amp almost maxed.

So far I like to use the ocd v1.7, mythos Daedalus BB circuit) and a ts9 although find the ts9 just a tad to much bit so may try an 808. Got the wayhuge overrated which is a great pedal with other amps but my least favourite with this amp.

Time to give a klon circuit a try?

jrgtr42

Looking at klon style pedals specifically the Centura.

Wondering how it would fit with a Les Paul into a dirty Marshall, anyone do this?

My Marshall (jcm 800 2203) has 6550 power tubes so a tighter bottom and a little less midrange than el34s.

How would a klon circuit work as a boost and also with the gain up going into my amp when the amp has its pre amp almost maxed.

So far I like to use the ocd v1.7, mythos Daedalus BB circuit) and a ts9 although find the ts9 just a tad to much bit so may try an 808. Got the wayhuge overrated which is a great pedal with other amps but my least favourite with this amp.

Time to give a klon circuit a try?

Give a try with the Electro Harmonix Soul Food. Well under a hundred beans brand new, and it's pretty close to the sound and feel of a Klon.
Premier Guitar did an article in the most recent issue (May 2020) playing an original Klon against a few Klones. There were a couple that sounded better still, but the SF has the best arcs of sound versus price. If you find one used, you can then look for a real Klon Centaur or the new KTR, and then turn the SF around for what you paid. (or hang on to it; who am I to judge.)

JimFog

I really did NOT like any of the Klon-type pedals with my Les Paul or 335 and Marshall. Made an already mid-heavy sound even moreso.

If you want something that boosts, but can overdrive a bit too, I highly suggest the Catalinbread Naga Viper, which is an expanded treble booster type pedal, but with the ability to add gain and eq it from a narrow treble boost to a full-range boost. I love it.

D Strange

I really did NOT like any of the Klon-type pedals with my Les Paul or 335 and Marshall. Made an already mid-heavy sound even moreso.

If you want something that boosts, but can overdrive a bit too, I highly suggest the Catalinbread Naga Viper, which is an expanded treble booster type pedal, but with the ability to add gain and eq it from a narrow treble boost to a full-range boost. I love it.

I always thought with a bright jcm 800 treble booster might have been to much? What do u think of the Dallas rangemaster style clones?

duaneflowers

Klons were designed to work "seemlessly" with Fender circuits... they were not designed for Marshalls or any other modified Fender circuits. They sound great with Fenders... putting a Ford carburetor on a Chevy is not going to yield the intended results... just saying... :salude

sreynolds

A Klon and a Treble Boost one of the best boost you can put into Marshall. A JTM45 & 50, Superlead and Superbass. Also the Centura is one of the best I've tried. And of course with a Les Paul.

jgyn

Have a few Klones, but prefer the Timmy pedal when using a Les Paul and a Marshall (JTM45 or Super Lead.)

Johnny Q

Well , it certainly works well for me. I use my Les Pauls into a Marshall JCM800 2204 with a Rimrock Mythical Overdrive out front. It sounds flippin awesome.

njt

Works for me too. I play an MGL and use a RYRA Klone for a boost on a couple tunes when we play out live.

Amp360

Klons were designed to work "seemlessly" with Fender circuits... they were not designed for Marshalls or any other modified Fender circuits. They sound great with Fenders... putting a Ford carburetor on a Chevy is not going to yield the intended results... just saying... :salude

really? I worked in a store in Boston that used to sell the Klon back in the mid 1990s. Bill used to bring them in for us and I don’t remember him ever saying this. Me and at least one guy that worked with me played JMPs back then and both of us bought Klon and still use them.

otoh aside from the throttle linkage I never had a problem interchanging Ford or Chevy carborators either. They sell adaptors that do that just fine.

duaneflowers

really? I worked in a store in Boston that used to sell the Klon back in the mid 1990s. Bill used to bring them in for us and I don’t remember him ever saying this. Me and at least one guy that worked with me played JMPs back then and both of us bought Klon and still use them.

otoh aside from the throttle linkage I never had a problem interchanging Ford or Chevy carborators either. They sell adaptors that do that just fine.

That's interesting... I thought I read an interview with Bill where he said it was designed for a Fender circuit, but since many other circuits are just modifications or extensions to the early Fenders I guess it makes sense it would work fine with them. I've always like it best with my Fenders and never really got into using it with any of the others... maybe someday... :salude