• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to Repair Binding Groove

Steady339

I own a 1980 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty with a small binding groove between neck and fingerboard in the 1st -5th fret area. The groves probably were caused by sweaty hands from a previous owner. Should I get this defect repaired or leave as is? How would the groove be repaired?

rick c

Do you mean that the binding has separated and a "groove" can be seen when looking at the fingerboard? If so, I'd just very carefully and very sparingly put some superglue in the gap and close it with a clamp for 10 minutes.

Steady339

The binding has not separated but there is a thin, shallow groove between neck and fingerboard. This probably was caused by acidic sweat eating into the binding from where fingerboard and neck join. The neck finish has worn off in this area too so I suspect sweaty hands.