• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Ding or dimple finish sunk in grain?

lakshadvio

Hello everyone, I recently bought a gibson les paul reissue 1959, new in store, green lemon. Everything is perfect, but I have seen this little dimple under the strings next to the puncher, it can only be seen with a certain angle and against the light. My question is whether it can be a dimple because of the nitro sunk in the grain. The guitar was manufactured according to his papers 3 months ago. Has anyone bought any R7, R8 or R9 and had something similar? I also attach other photos of my guitars that used only at home with care, present the same dimple, in this case it is a cherry SG, attached both photos to buy. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

unne1

Ajam, I thought it was the sunken finish in the grain, since the guitars are new from the store. As the previous partner says that a new guitar even if it is reissue custom comes from the factory with a slight touch

Last edited:

JPP-1

If “dimples“ and other surface imperfections bother you, you might want to consider a guitar made of something other than wood. Or you can look for a guitar that has a nice, thick, hard poly clearcoat. Anyone know the thickness of PRS’s current lineup?

The recent 1959 Reissues are truly superlative instruments by any metric you care to use. I would sit back and enjoy your guitar and not waste another moment scrutinizing the finish or looking for flaws that are only visible from an angle.

Victory Pete

Or you could be like me and love Nitro on wood and learn how to do touch ups. Lots of options out there.

michaelwatkins

Hello everyone, I recently bought a gibson les paul reissue 1959, new in store, green lemon. Everything is perfect, but I have seen this little dimple under the strings next to the puncher, it can only be seen with a certain angle and against the light. My question is whether it can be a dimple because of the nitro sunk in the grain. The guitar was manufactured according to his papers 3 months ago. Has anyone bought any R7, R8 or R9 and had something similar? I also attach other photos of my guitars that used only at home with care, present the same dimple, in this case it is a cherry SG, attached both photos to buy. Thank

Yes I read it and can understand your problem because the same that happened to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

EdwardR9

It's probably orange peel in the finish or a fish eye. Having owned a dozen Reissue's I use Novus Plastic Polish. Heavy to fine without wet sanding.
Yes it is plastic polish, nut the Gibson Nitro is plastic so it works and all you need is elbow grease.