• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Mystery 1964(?) Gibson SG Special Refinish and Overhaul

gabriel427

Hey y'all, I guess you can say I am now a part of the vintage club! I found what I believe to be, a 1964 Gibson SG Special late one night on eBay back in January of 2018. It had the finish stripped off, cheap Epiphone hardware installed, and previously drilled holes plugged where different bridges were installed over the years. It is definitely an eyesore but I am doing what I must to finish and restore it the way I see fit. I wanted it to be refinished in Polaris White with matching headstock and to have gold hardware. I also wanted to add John Birch Magnum 4 and Hyperflux 5 humbuckers mounted on a white batwing pickguard. Yes, I know it is a bit inaccurate to 1964, but it is my guitar at the end of the day. I wanted to ultimately have something kinda like Jimi's 1967 custom, with some Iommic flare. It's really the perfect storm: it's too ugly and costly to restore and the ultra narrow width makes it basically undesirable to everyone else. I have really small hands so this guitar is like a gift from the Guitar Gods. In the pictures you see, I had removed the Epiphone parts and gathered all the gold ones to take it to my local luthier. As of now, the guitar is currently in his possession and is being refinished by this gentleman in Polaris or as close as we can get. I had a few concerns and thoughts about my guitar and I would like to share them here with y'all. So this guitar most likely was cherry from the factory and may have been equipped with a short maestro vibrola as well. When I got it I noticed nearly all the original pieces were gone. Only the plastic pieces and the switch are original to the guitar. It has a long neck tenon and a Brazilian board. (possibly?) The neck has a super narrow width, like that of a Fender Duo Sonic of the time. I own one and side by side they feel about identical. Did Gibson really use the same A-width on some guitars or was mine modified? It seems as if it was from the factory. The black finish on the headstock is not original anyways so I will refinish it to match the body. The logo appears to be Mother Of Pearl as well as the inlays. The heel definitely points to a 1964-1965, serial is 1 62588. Anyone have any answers for me? I am happy to be sharing my experience with y'all! I'm 21 and my birthday is in a few weeks so this is a great gift to myself.

garywright

“ In the pictures you see “ ..señor ..I see no stinkin picture