• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Binding on a 1957 ES-350T

Tim's Guitars

I've owned this 1957 ES-350T for a while now and always wondered what this mark near the binding is, it looks like the same material as the binding? Is this some lacklustre scraping?

JimR56

To me it just looks like a bit of the lacquer came off due to some kind of accident, revealing the bare maple. Unfortunate, but hey, she's an old gal. Anyway, now I want to see the rest of this beauty! :hmm

Tim's Guitars

To me it just looks like a bit of the lacquer came off due to some kind of accident, revealing the bare maple. Unfortunate, but hey, she's an old gal. Anyway, now I want to see the rest of this beauty! :hmm

Thanks! I'm not sure that is it though, as the mark is under the finish...actually has some checking running through it....:hmm Anyway...as requested a pic of the whole guitar during a recent string change...also has the very very early no sticker PAFs with the first issue covers!

JimR56

Thanks for the photo, Tim! Gorgeous guitar. Could the spot have been clear-coated after some bump/scrape occurred? The checking might have resulted from a bump also? Anyway, it’s pretty insignificant imo.

Cogswell

The Duke of Dumbassery
Just a guess, but I'd bet there was a small Nick in the rim there, & instead of destroying the entire guitar they just filled it with some kind of putty.
Building an archtop like that is expensive & labor intensive. They'd probably rather salvage than scrap it.

Tim's Guitars

Just a guess, but I'd bet there was a small Nick in the rim there, & instead of destroying the entire guitar they just filled it with some kind of putty.
Building an archtop like that is expensive & labor intensive. They'd probably rather salvage than scrap it.

That was my thought; I think it's a production "accident"; the area is tiny and I think it was probably damaged in final production. The area all backlights as you would expect so no more recent repair at least. Anyway an interesting foible!

blauserk

So much could have happened during the intervening 63 years--maybe a tiny spot of finish lifted slightly. In any event, it's a beauty, and yours is the same year as Chuck Berry's if memory serves. I see yours was made before they introduced the rubber boot around the switch.

Underappreciated guitars! My '59:

DSCF0668.JPG