• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Opinions on 1961 LP, help wanted:)

Phatfrank

So there’s a really cool looking but totally mauled 1961 LP SG for sale locally. Neck and heel both cracked, PAFs gone and replaced with Throbaks, grovers and callaham bridge/tp fitted. Rest of electronics are claimed to be original. Seller is asking nearly 9K (!!) which to me seems completely ridiculous, but there are extremely few of these here so was wondering what the wizards here thought this should be worth? My gut feeling says less than half of asking...

marshall1987

Argh! What the hell happened to that thang? What a wreck! :dang

You're not seriously considering buying that mess? Please do not buy that guitar.

But since you asked about value......based on the incomplete photos and history you provided, I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for that guitar, and that's with the original hardshell case.

Phatfrank

Argh! What the hell happened to that thang? What a wreck! :dang

You're not seriously considering buying that mess? Please do not buy that guitar.

But since you asked about value......based on the incomplete photos and history you provided, I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for that guitar, and that's with the original hardshell case.

haha, I see your point but I really like a beat up ol’ guitar. The neck issues are of course negative, but I’m not spending the $$ for a clean one and thought I might replace my (really nice) CS SG with this one. I have a set of PAFs and thought it might make a cool player, albeit only if the price is right. My concern is that when the seller is this far off reality he’s probably not willing to realize what it really is worth. We’ll see:).

thin sissy

I think it looks cool as hell :peace2

Don't know anything about the pricing though.

El Gringo

I would think if it did not have neck and heel damage maybe for the listed price including being gutted of original parts and pickups . With neck and heel damage = no way .

Phatfrank

I would think if it did not have neck and heel damage maybe for the listed price including being gutted of original parts and pickups . With neck and heel damage = no way .

thanks, pretty much exactly how I feel.

To be clear, I am NOT even considering paying the asking price, but thought I’d get some qualified feedback to use when trying to get the seller to understand why I am offering him a completely different price:).

El Gringo

thanks, pretty much exactly how I feel.

To be clear, I am NOT even considering paying the asking price, but thought I’d get some qualified feedback to use when trying to get the seller to understand why I am offering him a completely different price:).
Sometimes it's good to get perspective from others and then along with your own views and feelings make a better informed choice , which is what it's all about . Remember plenty of fish in the sea and if one door closes another one opens . Best Wishes !

Aloha_Ark

Believe it or not, this beat up 1961/2 Gibson LP/SG was sold at Gruhn's in the mid $4K range in 2013.

tG6I5Hw.jpg

This is a work in progress, needing a better set of PUPs and some modest fret work. But it isn't a trainwreck. This is what I consider to be a starting point for the vintage SG collector. A mint example would be over $10K.

marshall1987

Believe it or not, this beat up 1961/2 Gibson LP/SG was sold at Gruhn's in the mid $4K range in 2013.

tG6I5Hw.jpg

This is a work in progress, needing a better set of PUPs and some modest fret work. But it isn't a trainwreck. This is what I consider to be a starting point for the vintage SG collector. A mint example would be over $10K.

Point well made! :dude:

The Gruhn SG/Les Paul you referenced retains much of, if not all, of it's originality; whereas, the OPs pictured SG/Les Paul shows substantial modifications and damage. Gruhn's SG/Les Paul sold for a reasonable price "in the mid $4K range".

With this in mind, my advice to the OP in an earlier post; i.e., not more than $3,000, is perhaps too generous. I don't think the OPs pictured SG/Les Paul is worth any more than $2,500.

Phatfrank

Point well made! :dude:

The Gruhn SG/Les Paul you referenced retains much of, if not all, of it's originality; whereas, the OPs pictured SG/Les Paul shows substantial modifications and damage. Gruhn's SG/Les Paul sold for a reasonable price "in the mid $4K range".

With this in mind, my advice to the OP in an earlier post; i.e., not more than $3,000, is perhaps too generous. I don't think the OPs pictured SG/Les Paul is worth any more than $2,500.

thanks for the input:). Prices have moved a little on since 2013, but this corona thing may fix that:##I’ll contact the seller and hear what he says. I was told he bought it a little while ago in the 3.500-4.000 usd range all in (please note we have to pay 25% vat here for imports) so isn’t far off your estimate. I will admit I’d buy it in a heartbeat for 3k:hank