• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

What new or Gibson USA closest to 09 Custom Shop?

kevs

I love the clearity and sutain of the 1959 60th anniversary Les Paul. But even used at 5k or 4500 is kind of steep. What is the Gibson USA current or past, n 1k to 2500 price range that comes closest to quality?

The ones in that last year I've played in store all sound bit muddy by comparison..

El Gringo

Gibson Les Paul Traditional , look for the solid body /non weight relieved model years .

Keefoman

How about the new ‘50s Standard? If you haven’t already tried that one.

kevs

thanks guys, Traditional V is nice, but again more muddy, and 50s same.. so maybe that the way it is custom shop way better with Gibson..

El Gringo

thanks guys, Traditional V is nice, but again more muddy, and 50s same.. so maybe that the way it is custom shop way better with Gibson..
If you think they sound muddy then that is a pickup issue and I load ThroBak's in all my Les Paul's ThroBak MXV-SLE-101 Plus . www.throbak.com

shines2225

I love the clearity and sutain of the 1959 60th anniversary Les Paul. But even used at 5k or 4500 is kind of steep. What is the Gibson USA current or past, n 1k to 2500 price range that comes closest to quality?

The ones in that last year I've played in store all sound bit muddy by comparison..

I never got the whole "muddy" descriptions pertaining to Gibson Les Pauls. Maybe it's your amp, your amp settings? possibly pickups? What exactly do you mean by "muddy"? Many describe a Les Paul sound as akin to the Telecaster kicked up a notch and I don't ever recall playing a "muddy" sounding Tele. Humbuckers and singles have their own tone signature and to me a PAF type pickup has never sounded "muddy". Maybe my ears are full of mud.

chief_nobody

My $75 epiphone LP is muddy.. never a gibson. The higher end of your price range would be close to reissue price territory if your really gunning for a custom shop.

PHILBERT

Custombuckers are brighter, with more great harmonics that almost feedback on themselves. Amazing Alnico 3 magnets make that difference...that, and underwinding.

I understand "darker" sound from USA Les Paul guitars, but not all being muddy. The neck joint is different, so the tone is too. I looked long and hard until I found one that has perfect "old school" LP tone. My Traditional Pro II is amazing! I might try Custombuckers in it just to see what happens, but the '57/Super '57 set has a great balance with that golden era mid-range tone. Acoustically, it's brighter and more resonant, so I guess the neck bond and quality of wood came together.

And lets not forget pickup height. You can dial down and find the sweet spot that delivers uncluttered and balanced tone, but you need a good harmonically rich amp on the edge of breakup to really hear it. Buzzy distortion amps with bad speakers won't come close.

Happy hunting! After all, finding a good Les Paul to fit your dream sound takes trial after trial until you nail it.

Phil

kevs

Thanks Phil, Kevs, OP, here back in action. Do you mind sending some links on the guitar?

Also, have you played/ owned custom shop series? If so how close on scale 1-10 is this? Best

Big Al

CS Les Paul 59 Reissues were created to fill the need for a true vintage built and sounding Les Paul. The succeeded, imo and from 93 onwards, delivered on that premis. I own models from the last years of the 20th Century as well as a pair from 2013. Due to a close relationship with a major dealer, I've played dozens and dozens over the years and have a good understanding of this range.

The 09, or any singular year R9, doesn't possess a unique sonic signature. Though there have been changes to tighten up vintage spec's, I don't believe anyone could identify the yom of any R9 by it's tone. They show the same range of tones, or variety of voice within their clear vintage affect, as do clearly vintage ones. 09's show the same range.

If you want that, as many of us did and do, then ya gotta man up and step up. You think you get it cheap? If tone is what you are after, there are plenty of R7 Goldtop and plaintop R8's available with that tone. If you just have to have a perfect burst over a flamey maple top and all the other things we all love about R9's, then save up and make it so.

The vintage voice inherent to good examples is addictive and frustratingly subtle. Best exploited with a good cable jacked into a great amplifier. That difference in tone gets buried quick with fx boxes and high gain preamp channels.

Small difference yet remarkable and noticeable, it appears huge to the player accustomed to exploiting it. Still, Les Pauls sound like Les Pauls. They all have that Les Paul sound and if you pick a good one and use it smartly you'll find it has a strong, bright, clear tone. Clarity is what Les Pauls are about. Power with clarity. If you are claiming that isn't good enough for you and only a 2009 R9 can do it for you, THEN BUY A 2009 R9!!!

If that is unobtainable, well then, get over it and move on. That's life and it is only a guitar. We don't always get what we want. If it's out of reach, it's out of reach. Ain't a gottdamned thing wrong with a Standard. They certainly aren't muddy.

kevs

Thanks Al, nice post, well 2019 60th ann. I was referencing.

1 -So, have you played this one? And I just heard they really hit it out of the park on that one, per hardware and details... but you are saying many 09 years would be equally wonderful.

2- Goldtop is great I'm sure but a totally different tone right, as P90s.

3- Standard, (or all Gibson US, non- CS ) just not in same ball league as a CS correct? Not even close right?

Finally, how does one know what year made... you have know seriel number and how to read them?

Big Al

Thanks Al, nice post, well 2019 60th ann. I was referencing.

1 -So, have you played this one? And I just heard they really hit it out of the park on that one, per hardware and details... but you are saying many 09 years would be equally wonderful.

2- Goldtop is great I'm sure but a totally different tone right, as P90s.

3- Standard, (or all Gibson US, non- CS ) just not in same ball league as a CS correct? Not even close right?

Finally, how does one know what year made... you have know seriel number and how to read them?

1- if THAT EXACT ONE is the only one with all the magic then buy one. Yes I played quite a few. Nothing extraordinary in materials, hardware or build. Had a nice deep cherry burst, but that has been used on many since then. I passed and bought the later 2013 version as I liked them better. Spec's upgraded in a way I found meaningful and Classicbuckers and neck profile were big improvement over the 09, imo. So I bought two that spoke too me.

If the 09 speaks as loudly too you, get it. There is nothing special, other than the 40 yr Ann. thing that makes them better or more remarkable than other R9's. They don't all play or sound the same. All 09s don't sound the same and there is no 40th Ann. sound that defines that yom. It's find the one you like and buy it, or let it go.
They came in editions with special little booklets and a secret handshake. They had extra marketing and ranks so some have fancier bling candy. I don't think you know enough to start dabbling in collectible CS Lesters. Somebody give you a sales pitch?

2- No. A R7 is a CS 1957 Goldtop Reissue. Same humbucker guitar, goldtop finish less dough.

3- They are made diferent, build, by experienced craftsmen and women with their own sourced materials and hardware, and until recently in their own factory. Maybe you should study up some. The Historic Pub would be a good place to start. USA Standards are excellent, Pro quality guitars. They are Les Pauls. Whatever it is you claim to hear is your difference right there. You get that in CS guitars. "Better", is subjective and not absolute, except for 50's historic accuracy. The CS is a better 50's guitar. The USA 50's has that appearance, a skin deep veneer.

Serial numbers????? You need some knowledge in spec's to tell as 1999, 2009 and 2019 all share the same numder scheme. The second digit = yom, a 9. So 9 9xxx and then 99xxxx.

I own vintage 50's, 60's, 70's and more recent USA Gibsons as well as Historic CS. Each have applications in which they prove better. Better is always dependent on use and up to the user to define. Color, brother, they all be colors and it's a big picture.

Last edited: