• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tailpiece question

Gene Conrad

Hiya. The stop tailpiece on my LP STD has a small gap, about 1mm when it sits in the post slots.

This causes it to shift slightly on an angle front-to-back, especially when top wrapped.

Do other people have fitment issues? Is there a replacement that doesn’t cost over $100?

Thanks

Hamerfan

No worries, its just a visual thing.
Those which switch out their stop to Faber, Tonepro or ABM, have a tone goal. So changing it out might change your tone too.

jrgtr42

I have that issue on one of my other guitars. I've been meaning (for the past 20+ years...) to get a couple big washers and grind out the front for it to sit under the bridge and level it off. presuming it works out right, I'd trim it down to be all but invisible to the casual glance.

bluesroom

The question is : which tailpiece to buy for a tighter fit with the Gibson posts

Señor Verde

You could get Faber locking studs, or some other brand. A lot of people like them, but I don't like what they do to the sound and feel of the guitar. On my Gibsons, I have Historic tailpiece and studs. I think they sound the best of all I've tried and fit decent.