• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickups for a 335

King Minimoose

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and am finally getting around to actually posting something.

I have a 2008 Gibson Custom Shop ESDS 335 that I'm thinking about doing some work to. It has the stock 57 Classics and wiring harness and doesn't seem to have much difference in tone between the pickups, and it doesn't seem to cut through like my other guitars. I've heard that 335s pre 2010 had 300k pots.

What I've decided on in my head is a RS guitar works raw harness and some luxe cap for the harness. The pickups have me conflicted. Right now, it's between a set of OX4s and the Tyson Tone Precious and Grace set. My influences are all the British Blues guys and I play blues rock; JD Simo is the reason why I bought the guitar in the first place, so that's the sound I like/am looking for. I've talked to both Mark and Bobby for suggestion; Mark said that he would make some short A5 pickups for me, and Bobby suggested the Precious and Grace set (and the Deacon set if my guitar is dark, which I'm not sure it is). Any way, I look forward to what everyone has to say.

mr kenny

Hello all,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and am finally getting around to actually posting something.

I have a 2008 Gibson Custom Shop ESDS 335 that I'm thinking about doing some work to. It has the stock 57 Classics and wiring harness and doesn't seem to have much difference in tone between the pickups, and it doesn't seem to cut through like my other guitars. I've heard that 335s pre 2010 had 300k pots.

What I've decided on in my head is a RS guitar works raw harness and some luxe cap for the harness. The pickups have me conflicted. Right now, it's between a set of OX4s and the Tyson Tone Precious and Grace set. My influences are all the British Blues guys and I play blues rock; JD Simo is the reason why I bought the guitar in the first place, so that's the sound I like/am looking for. I've talked to both Mark and Bobby for suggestion; Mark said that he would make some short A5 pickups for me, and Bobby suggested the Precious and Grace set (and the Deacon set if my guitar is dark, which I'm not sure it is). Any way, I look forward to what everyone has to say.

I bought a Memphis '58 es335 in 2016. The original MHS pickups didn't give me what I wanted to hear. I bought several different sets in my search for a replacement. I was almost there with one set but decided to give it one more try. The last one's I bought were OX4's. Short A5's at 7.93 bridge,7.86 neck.
Not trying to justify my purchase by posting how satisfied I am, but the OX4's have something the others didn't. Subsequently in looking around at pickup stuff I see that short A5's appear to be a good magnet choice for semi hollows.

renderit

I went through a lot of different ones on my 339.

I think the semi-hollows are much more difficult to get a good match on.

It ended up with Wizz.

BurstWurst

I went through a lot of different ones on my 339.

I think the semi-hollows are much more difficult to get a good match on.

It ended up with Wizz.
After putting low wind OX4s in my 339, my pick-up search was over.

Señor Verde

I have 2 x 2017 ES-335 and tried a bunch of pickups in one or both of them. Throback SLE-101, regular wind Wizz, Lust For Tone Lustbucker 57, a couple WCR, Wolfetone Marshallhead and Dr. Vintage. PRS 5708. The ones I like best in my guitars are Wolfetone Legends.