• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Why No Guitars Made With Cherry Wood?

serjio

Not sure where to post this, there is no Luthier / Build area?
I am wondering why I do not see Guitars [electric & acoustic] built with Cherry wood.
It has long been a beautiful furniture wood.https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps
A hard wood very similar to maple that darkens with age.

Some may reply with "it's not a tone wood" but guitars are made with junk wood today and sound great.
Fender is even making Tele's from pine !

So whats the deal with cherry?

*I know, ask Bob Taylor right?

Last edited:

jrgtr42

Fascinating how the OP is worded exactly the same as the last time the question was asked....:ganz:hmm

Satpal

Hi this post just caught my attention ...as i remember Godin made some art& luthier guitars with CHERRY top as i recall they were only cheap guitars but it seemed to work well as a solid wood topped guitar for little money.
cheers

Flogger

Hi this post just caught my attention ...as i remember Godin made some art& luthier guitars with CHERRY top as i recall they were only cheap guitars but it seemed to work well as a solid wood topped guitar for little money.
cheers

You are correct, sir.

mike smith

Besides weight, why am I not seeing anybody use cherry wood? I've just acquired a slab of old growth cherry 6x4ft 2.6" thick sufficient for 8 one piece bodies and cherry wood not properly fit in guitars

garywright

Besides weight, why am I not seeing anybody use cherry wood? I've just acquired a slab of old growth cherry 6x4ft 2.6" thick sufficient for 8 one piece bodies and cherry wood not properly fit in guitars

maybe you should build a Gibson style firebird 1 using one solid chunk-o-wood :dude:

Last edited:

jrgtr42

Aside from weight, it also comes down to ease of working. Cherry is a very hard wood.

If you do go ahead and build something, make sure you post pics!