• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Difficulties in determining age of LP custom (shop?)

MrT

Hey folks,

I have a question and hope you can help me out.

The seller says it is a LP Custom from the begin of the 90s in complete original condition.
I doubt that, mainly because there are no caps on the pickups,
but I have far too little experience to be honest, so I would appreciate some help.

Also the serial starts with CS which looks like a custom SHOP to me, right?

482A4749-11D4-4E83-91A4-DFBF92F776D4.jpg5C57463D-BDF2-45BF-9ABB-80D9F281C317.jpg

The front of the headstock shows the typical LP custom logo inlay.
Using the serial number decoder from guitarinsite.nl says „Production year: 2000 or 2010“ but I don't know how trustworthy that is either.

May someone please be so kind and give me a hint what‘s this guitar about?

thank you in advance!

best regards
MrT

MrT

Hey Tim,

thanks for the reply.
Could you be a bit more specific on how to tell it is 2008?
i want to learn something. :)

thanks!

Tim Plains

Sure, 2003 or 2004 is when they switched to CS numbers, eight digit USA serial numbers before that, the first number after CS is the build year, so it only leaves 2008 or 2018, and I doubt anyone who bought a new guitar within the past two years would mistake it for an older one. Ask to see the certificate, black books were used in 2008, brown in 2018.

MrT

Alright, thank you very much,
I am awaiting the certificate (if there is any), hopefully I will know more then.

Thank you!

MrT

And is this a Custom Shop model or „just“ a Custom?

thank you!

Tim Plains

And is this a Custom Shop model or „just“ a Custom?
It's "just" a Custom made in the Custom Shop.

Nothing changed when they became Custom Shop guitars aside from maybe slightly better workmanship and fretwork. They still have swiss cheese holes, short neck tenon, same electronics as before, only they now come with a Custom Shop certificate and case.

jdm66

It's "just" a Custom made in the Custom Shop.

Nothing changed when they became Custom Shop guitars aside from maybe slightly better workmanship and fretwork. They still have swiss cheese holes, short neck tenon, same electronics as before, only they now come with a Custom Shop certificate and case.

Gibson is now using long neck tenons in the customs. According to Gibson's website, just about everything coming out of the custom shop has a long neck tenon.

fredrogers75

A couple months ago, I got the same exact guitar. 2019 custom shop Les Paul Custom with uncovered pickups. Great guitar.