The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Hello,I’m looking at another ES guitar at the moment and it’s a battle between a 59’ 330T and an epi ‘64 Casino.i haven’t actually played a 330T yet but it’s always been on the list.i’ve played the casino and it’s a dream, however.what would you do? Why?

  2. #2

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Don't pass up dream guitars.

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member Guitar Whiskey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central Coast CA
    Posts
    2,698

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    I had years ago a '64 Casino which was a lovely guitar but never bonded with the super skinny neck. Tone wise it sounded great although the out of phase wiring when both pickups were on wan't my thing. It began to need frets so rather than messing with it I moved on.

    I later had an ES330 RI which IMO was much better guitar overall. It sounded phenominal, had a generous sized neck and truly played wonderfully. Should have kept that one but didn't.

    I would not go out of my way to get an ES330T unless you are just targeting it since they cost substantially less than the 2 pickup models. The ES330 RI is a pretty darn good guitar especially for the money.

    My first choice would be to opt for a vintage '59 ES330 if you can swing it. The best from a tone, playability and collectability perspective. Beatiful guitars.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGLsaGcrXag

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgqTHNyjS3c

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfwxxRDOQTM

    Pics of my old guitars below.





  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member OKGuitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Kent, CT
    Posts
    927

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    A Gibson from 59 will be a better investment than a 64 Epiphone. That's just the reality of the vintage marketplace. The guitars themselves are largely identical other than the differences between the years (bigger neck in 59). Construction is identical. If they are both single pickup, I'd go with the 59 by a mile. If the 64 is a two pickups, I would go with that one. I find the single pickup 330 to be somewhat limited in its versatility. It is the worlds best "couch guitar" though.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,451

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Quote Originally Posted by OKGuitar View Post
    A Gibson from 59 will be a better investment than a 64 Epiphone. That's just the reality of the vintage marketplace. The guitars themselves are largely identical other than the differences between the years (bigger neck in 59). Construction is identical. If they are both single pickup, I'd go with the 59 by a mile. If the 64 is a two pickups, I would go with that one. I find the single pickup 330 to be somewhat limited in its versatility. It is the worlds best "couch guitar" though.
    I thought 330's were 3-ply and Casino's 5-ply, making them a bit more resistant to feedback. Yes, they're shaped the same, but I believe there are slight structural differences such as the one I mention.
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

  6. #6
    Forum Moderator KennyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North-Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,641

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Elliot,

    I found this on Wiki... When they say "Early versions of the Casino had a spruce top", I'm not sure how far back they mean, but you may be right...

    "Early versions of the Casino had a spruce top. Through 1970, the Casino headstock was set at a 17-degree angle and the top was made of five laminated layers of maple, birch, maple, birch, and maple. With the exception of the John Lennon models, subsequent Casinos have been made with 14-degree headstock angle with five layer all maple laminated tops. Current versions have a laminated maple top, sides, and back, and a mahogany neck."
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

    "...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Elliot Easton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,451

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Quote Originally Posted by KennyF View Post
    Elliot,

    I found this on Wiki... When they say "Early versions of the Casino had a spruce top", I'm not sure how far back they mean, but you may be right...

    "Early versions of the Casino had a spruce top. Through 1970, the Casino headstock was set at a 17-degree angle and the top was made of five laminated layers of maple, birch, maple, birch, and maple. With the exception of the John Lennon models, subsequent Casinos have been made with 14-degree headstock angle with five layer all maple laminated tops. Current versions have a laminated maple top, sides, and back, and a mahogany neck."
    Kenny, i know that i'm right about the amount of layers of lamination. It has been discussed extensively on this forum, which is how I learned of it. This site is a great resource; often you will find that your questions have already been discussed in great detail. Have some fun with this site; ask it questions, and you will probably find the answer. We maniacs leave no stone unturned, but the difference between 5 and 3 ply-that's a biggie.
    "A little bit of knowledge can be a very dangerous thing."

  8. #8
    Forum Moderator KennyF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    North-Eastern Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,641

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot Easton View Post
    Kenny, i know that i'm right about the amount of layers of lamination. It has been discussed extensively on this forum, which is how I learned of it. This site is a great resource; often you will find that your questions have already been discussed in great detail. Have some fun with this site; ask it questions, and you will probably find the answer. We maniacs leave no stone unturned, but the difference between 5 and 3 ply-that's a biggie.
    Absolutely! The best guitar resource on the internet.
    Stop by and get reacquainted with The all NEW Fender Forum

    "...put aside the alienation, get on with the fascination, the real relation, the underlying theme."
    Neil Peart (September 12, 1952 - January 7, 2020)

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    OL, Michigan
    Posts
    66

    Re: 59’ 330T vs 64’ Casino

    OP, I just acquired a 64 casino. Hit me up if you have questions or want detailed pictures. (I have nothing else to do)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i