The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

88 LP Fret Buzz/Rattle

Ok I know I have seen this particular issue listed several times and have tried all of the fixes that I have found listed, of course maybe I missed something.
    I picked up an 88 LP Standard a couple of months ago. The setup and strings were horrible so I cleaned her up took her to my friend who actually is the local guitar tech and asked him to go through he, check her out and do a full setup. He gave her a clean bill of health except for a fret buzz on the “D” starting around the 3rd fret. The frets did look pretty good but due to the age of the guitar and the fact a few frets could use some work I went ahead and had the frets leveled and crowned. That helped but unfortunately did not stop the buzzing.
    I did some checking on the forums and came up with several things’ others had done in the past that fixed the same type of issue so I have checked or tried the following.
    1. Verified the neck has no issue
    2. String are new have tried several sets, brands and 2 sizes (10 and 11) all the results the same.
    3. Frets have been crowned and leveled
    4. Bridge, Tail piece and Tuners have been checked. All were in useable condition (I did have 2 worn tuners) but as a last resort all have been replaced.
    5. Full Setup has been done (twice).
    At this point I am at a loss as to what else to try.
    Any ideas/suggested fixes would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

Les Paul Forum Member

Re: 88 LP Fret Buzz/Rattle

Off the top of my head I would say a truss rod adjustment to add some relief and also adjust the ABR-1 Bridge or the Nashville Bridge . As you say prior to the fret work I would have tried the truss rod and the bridge adjustment first .

Quote Originally Posted by El Gringo View Post
    Off the top of my head I would say a truss rod adjustment to add some relief and also adjust the ABR-1 Bridge or the Nashville Bridge . As you say prior to the fret work I would have tried the truss rod and the bridge adjustment first .
    Gringo,
    Thanks for the info.
    Actually I got this LP about 2 monhs ago and I would say it had not been properly stored for quite some time fret wires, stings and most metal was covered in a green "corrosion". Luckily the neck appears to be fine no twists or bends but we had to do a serious Truss Rod adjustment at that time. I know its been tweaked a couple of times as we did some other work. Hopefully it will settle down.

BTW here is a pic of her (if the link works)

[/URL]

Last edited by mbbreen; 04-07-20 at 03:36 PM.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbbreen View Post
    Gringo,
    Thanks for the info.
    Actually I got this LP about 2 monhs ago and I would say it had not been properly stored for quite some time fret wires, stings and most metal was covered in a green "corrosion". Luckily the neck appears to be fine no twists or bends but we had to do a serious Truss Rod adjustment at that time. I know its been tweaked a couple of times as we did some other work. Hopefully it will settle down.

BTW here is a pic of her (if the link works)

[/URL]

I can't see the photos, (filters at work) . The way a guitar is stored is important . I keep all of mine on stands with 2 humidifiers running during heating season and this helps .

Les Paul Forum Member

If by "Verified the neck has no issue" the neck is flat/close to flat with just a tiny bow and the "Frets have been crowned and leveled" and only the D string is buzzing then this suggests that the frets are not leveled (at least in the D position) or the neck is too flat. Use a credit card as a rocker and check the level of the frets in the D string position only; I suspect you have a high or low spot only in the D string position.

I don't understand how a "Full Setup has been done (twice)" has not resolved this issue. I very strongly recommend learning how to do this stuff yourself (loads and loads of YouTube videos on this subject). How much relief is in the neck and how low is the action on top and bottom E strings?

Rick,
    I have been making some adjustments so the readings are not what they were after the setups.
    I do not at present have a feeler gauge so these are done with a small ruler so I know they could be more accurate.
    Currently the action is setting at:
    High E = 2 mm
    Low E = 3 mm

The relief is about 2 business cards which I believe is .07 cm

With these settings the "rattle/buzz" is pretty much gone.

I plan to redo a setup myself once I get a feller gauge

Mike

Thank you all for the advice and feedback.I had to adjust the truss 2 times and redo the setup but the buzzing is pretty much gone.The hardest part was the waiting between the truss adjustments.
    Thanks Again
    Mike

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mbbreen View Post
    Thank you all for the advice and feedback.I had to adjust the truss 2 times and redo the setup but the buzzing is pretty much gone.The hardest part was the waiting between the truss adjustments.
    Thanks Again
    Mike
    Awesome to hear some good news in this situation we are in . This is great to get a nice guitar working and singing like she should . Play her in good health and rock out and have fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!