The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Bavarian Makeover II 1956 Historic Reissue by jaegerguitars

I hade my Historic R8 refretted with Jescar 57110 SS wire (the horror). Love it.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

FWIW, I played my 57 Jr with the tiny original frets for years, and I loved the guitar.

But when I finally refretted it with large frets, I loved it even more! These days I also have a 55 GT with large frets, and it's wonderful. So IMHO you made a good choice on that fretwire.

PS: there's still a certain charm to the vintage banjo wire, but I wouldn't want to go back
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

...like a vintage neck: without the sheath, a vintage-correct trussrod made out of cold-rolled steel, and a perfectly hide-glued Brazilian Rosewood fretboard:

...frets are flawless - no dressing necessary...

Meanwhile work on the body binding has moved forward, as well.

Below you can see all about the pinkish factory binding from ´96 being replaced with historically correct NOS Royalite binding:

...the considerable contrast between the two binding materials:

...the old binding is removed...

...to get a perfect channel for the NOS Royalite...

...which is now applied to the body!

The egg-shell color of the NOS Royalite is suited best to the ambering of the instrument, which is one of the most important aspects of the vintage look!

...and as the Grande Finale for today a word from the mentor about how the neck is fitted into the body in the course of a neck reset:

...of course, this is just a demonstration of how well the neck fits into the body mortice by itself, without any glue. For the actual fitting hot hide glue is used!
    Last edited by ununtrium; 05-08-20 at 12:22 AM.

It all looks grand but the neck re-set link ist zerbrochen (knackered).
    Last edited by KR1; 05-08-20 at 07:18 PM.

I fixed the video link, moving to youtube. I hope that everyone is able to watch the video now. Cheers

This came in right after my last posting...

There has been another wedding

Neck glued in with hot hide glue - what a glorious day!

The connection between the neck and the body is the most important - the all-deciding and crucial - connection in a guitar. If the neck and body are perfectly glued (or screwed, if that is your preference...) together, the instrument begins to radiate, to blossom, to shine, and shimmer. This is the key to the sound of a 'Burst and the 50's tone. It is more important than any other measures to enhance an instrument's tone put together. Imagine the result, if both a neck reset and the other measures are taken!
    Last edited by ununtrium; 05-09-20 at 04:57 AM. Reason: additional thoughts about the importance of a neck reset added

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Man, this thing is looking great!

Btw, what are those metallic circular pieces in the neck joint and bridge pu routing? Do all Historics have them?

Quote Originally Posted by fernieite View Post
    Man, this thing is looking great!

Btw, what are those metallic circular pieces in the neck joint and bridge pu routing? Do all Historics have them?
    They’re for mounting the P90s.

I absolutely LOVE 6100! I've been playing on those frets for over thirty years. Bob Gjika, the luthier/amp designer, refretted my '61 SG/Les Paul back in '86 and they are still going strong. That said, the wire back then was way harder than the fretwire offered today. I think they realized that making it slightly softer would result in more sales of fretwire. Who knows. But I recently had Bob refret my Historic Makeover '03 R9 with Jescar stainless and, boy, was it worth it. Here's a video that shows the results:

Your feedback is, as always, invaluable.

Now, I need it again: I am contemplating replacing the Bigsby with a stoptail piece (many of you will rejoice...)

Which tailpiece should I use as a replacement? I got rid of the stock tailpiece, when the Bigsby was installed, so the option of simply using that one again, is gone.

Many thanks for your input

The neck reset has been completed to perfection!

Now the binding is being trimmed...

...and the recarve of the top is going to be done this weekend!

Last edited by ununtrium; 05-13-20 at 04:33 AM.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Fan View Post
    I absolutely LOVE 6100! I've been playing on those frets for over thirty years. Bob Gjika, the luthier/amp designer, refretted my '61 SG/Les Paul back in '86 and they are still going strong. That said, the wire back then was way harder than the fretwire offered today. I think they realized that making it slightly softer would result in more sales of fretwire. Who knows. But I recently had Bob refret my Historic Makeover '03 R9 with Jescar stainless and, boy, was it worth it. Here's a video that shows the results:

Cool video Cream Fan, I'm a SS fret convert as well, nothing beats it IMHO

ununtrium: Interesting updates, keep them coming! I thought the Bigsby was cool as hell, but if you want to try the stoptail (it seems you do), then why not? The Bigsby can be added later if you want to
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Member fernieite's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurS View Post
    They’re for mounting the P90s.
    Oh, interesting. Thanks.

the maple top has been recarved...

...now we have authentic vintage topcarve contours with a prominent recurve and a deep dish!

Quote Originally Posted by ununtrium View Post
    the maple top has been recarved...

H

...now we have authentic vintage topcarve contours with a prominent recurve and a deep dish!
    How was this done?

Florian carves by hand; he has extensive knowledge of the top carve of 50's Les Pauls and uses the data he has accumulated over decades of measuring vintage instruments as a point of reference. He lays out all the pertinent details in his description of his makeover packages on his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
    How was this done?

Many thanks!
    I still think that a Bigsby is cool as hell, too.

However, when learning that there was a kit that let you install a Bigsby on a Les Paul without drilling holes into the top, I was a bit miffed. I think the kit is called "Vibramate" or something like it, and I would have certainly opted for that instead of committing like I did.

It is not that I regret having had the Bigsby over these last couple of years, but I am glad that I now have the opportunity to get the stoptail back without any trace of the previous modifications to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by thin sissy View Post

ununtrium: Interesting updates, keep them coming! I thought the Bigsby was cool as hell, but if you want to try the stoptail (it seems you do), then why not? The Bigsby can be added later if you want to

Now it is time to put the tailpiece in its historically accurate position...

...this is the status quo (which is about to change...):

...on the right you can see the stock insert (short and made of zinc) for the tailpiece studs. On the left is the one Florian is going to put in instead: Vintage-spec steel, made by a trusted blacksmith from Northern Germany which is actually my neck of the woods.

...this is the sandwich plug (mahogany/maple) that will remedy the modern positioning of the stud hole...

...the plug now glued in...

...behold the plug with a talent of not being seen...Florian matched its grain pattern with the top exactly.

...the new hole for the stud insert...

...the groundwire gets a new access hole and is duly installed once more...

...and here is the finished result: right through the middle between the volume pots...and it is almost parallel to the ABR-1, as well!

I know that the position varied in the original 50's instruments, but this position makes the most sense to me...and it just looks right!
    Last edited by ununtrium; 05-12-20 at 02:37 PM.

Now it is time to put the tailpiece in its historically accurate position...

...this is the status quo (which is about to change...):

...on the right you can see the stock insert (short and made of zinc) for the tailpiece studs. On the left is the one Florian is going to put in instead: Vintage-spec steel, made by a trusted blacksmith from Northern Germany which is actually my neck of the woods.

...this is the sandwich plug (mahogany/maple) that will remedy the modern positioning of the stud hole...

...the plug now glued in...

...behold the plug with a talent of not being seen...Florian matched its grain pattern with the top exactly.

...the new hole for the stud insert...

...the groundwire gets a new access hole and is duly installed once more...

...and here is the finished result: right through the middle between the volume pots...and it is almost parallel to the ABR-1, as well!

I know that the position varied in the original 50's instruments, but this position makes the most sense to me...and it just looks right!

Impressive, are you filling the Bigsby holes?

That is the current plan. It makes the most sense to do it now, anyway.

Impressive, are you filling the Bigsby holes?

That is the current plan. It makes the most sense to do it now, anyway.
    If you are going to use a Vibra-Mate Bigsby plate to mount a Bigsby have Florian install some dome top thumbwheels and the Bigsby will hold tune better...

https://www.ebay.com/i/143466469360?...SABEgKyNPD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    If you are going to use a Vibra-Mate Bigsby plate to mount a Bigsby have Florian install some dome top thumbwheels and the Bigsby will hold tune better...

https://www.ebay.com/i/143466469360?...SABEgKyNPD_BwE
    I ordered a set a month ago and they cancelled the order due to the current pandemic. I have been using the stock bridge on my RO and it has stayed in tune fairly well if I just use the Bigbsy mildly, which is my preferred use anyway. I do notice the bridge moving the threaded posts back and forth. I wonder about work hardening and the posts breaking someday.

I ordered a set a month ago and they cancelled the order due to the current pandemic. I have been using the stock bridge on my RO and it has stayed in tune fairly well if I just use the Bigbsy mildly, which is my preferred use anyway. I do notice the bridge moving the threaded posts back and forth. I wonder about work hardening and the posts breaking someday.
    I saw this set on ebay today so I wondered if they started shipping.

I saw this set on ebay today so I wondered if they started shipping.
    I will check with them

Time passes by fast when you're having fun!

Now the reshaping of the neck is on the agenda. The neck in its original state comes pretty close to a typical vintage 50's neck profile already, as Florian pointed out to me. The reshaping, however, was something I would definitely not pass up!

First, Florian removes the shoulders with a spokeshave, keeping the original thickness of the neck:

The resulting rough patches of the neck are being eliminated using a VERY fine rasp. It was my wish that the neck profile receive a very soft V-shape, while retaining all of the original thickness. Florian was, as always, most obliging and stated after completing the task that the neck will be "irresistable". I doubt it not!

The final sanding is done neck upwards by hand, the master's hand being the "natural/organic template".

The guitar player of taste will now find that this neck is - as someone once put it - "unputdownable"

The base of the head was cnc-routed in the factory, leaving hard edges...

...that are not pleasing to the player's hand.

This area is being meticulously sanded to get a smoother feel.

With this painstaking attention to detail you end up with a neck just like the old ones (or even better at that...)!

Last edited by ununtrium; 05-13-20 at 02:00 PM.

During a project Florian constantly revisits certain stages of the makeover, refines and intensifies his work, where necessary or applicable. In this case, the recarving of the maple top was gone over and considerably intensified. I am very happy with this more vigorous recarve, indeed! This is what you get when you take the time, take a step back, and approach a project aspect again. I wonder if Gibson does this...I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did!

[QUOTE=ununtrium;2861188]During a project Florian constantly revisits certain stages of the makeover, refines and intensifies his work, where necessary or applicable. In this case, the recarving of the maple top was gone over and considerably intensified. I am very happy with this more vigorous recarve, indeed! This is what you get when you take the time, take a step back, and approach a project aspect again. I wonder if Gibson does this...I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did!

[/QUOTE
    Looks good. That cant be easy to establish such precise contours. Especially considering you dont start to really see the contour until it shines a few stages later

Here is some additional makeover sustenance to carry you into the weekend...

Stay safe and keep looking after each other!

...The shape of things to come...

...and coming closer...

Before...

...during...

...and after the logo relocation.

Florian fixed the ungainly ding at the upper right hand corner of the head stock, too!

Before...

...during...

...and after the logo relocation.

Florian fixed the ungainly ding at the upper right hand corner of the head stock, too!
    Wow. That must have been challenging. I like detail and all, but was that worth it?

Looks great! I had a makeover done by Gord Miller ten years ago. It was paramount to move the logo to the vintage-correct location, and a small detail that makes a big difference. Good move!

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Craw View Post
    Looks great! I had a makeover done by Gord Miller ten years ago. It was paramount to move the logo to the vintage-correct location, and a small detail that makes a big difference. Good move!
    I agree 100%... makeovers are all about small details that add up to make the guitar really come alive. I’ve had a Bavarian Makeover For my 54’ reissue a couple of years back and It’s all about these small details. And since you went through the whole process and sent your guitar to Florian might as well make the best out of it... definitely worth it! 👍🏼 Come to think of it.. any small detail Florian recommends he does for good reason..

Quote Originally Posted by Shokry View Post
    I agree 100%... makeovers are all about small details that add up to make the guitar really come alive. I’ve had a Bavarian Makeover For my 54’ reissue a couple of years back and It’s all about these small details. And since you went through the whole process and sent your guitar to Florian might as well make the best out of it... definitely worth it! 👍🏼 Come to think of it.. any small detail Florian recommends he does for good reason..
    Got any pictures of your completed R4?

Les Paul Forum Member

0538BDED-5E1A-487D-83D5-98CAE4530964.jpg
    Got any pictures of your completed R4?
    Cant get it upright for some reason..apologies for that. Could someone let me know how to post a pic properly?? thanks
    Last edited by Shokry; 05-20-20 at 05:23 AM.

The magic of the heating iron...

...before

...and after...

P.S.: Florian plugged the Bigsby holes in the top just like he plugged the stud hole previously. He also re-installed the bone nut, as in his (and my) opinion bone is a nut material second to none. Its handling and tonal qualities are just what we want. However, it was necessary to adapt it to the new fretboard etc., which required some intricate handiwork.

P.P.S.: The original factory-installed nut was so horrible that it made the guitar unplayable. I had bought the guitar without inspecting it first-hand and I was disappointed when I received it, to say the least! I was on the brink of letting it go, but, fortunately, took it to a local luthier first. After inspecting it he convinced me to keep it and installed the bone nut, did some additional fretwork that should not have been necessary (factory fretwork was horrific in places, too...) and voila - there was my keeper R6! To be clear, the original owner hardly played it and had no luthier do any work on it.
    Last edited by ununtrium; 05-20-20 at 12:37 PM.

I adore your Bavarian Makeover Goldtop! It is gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by Shokry View Post
    0538BDED-5E1A-487D-83D5-98CAE4530964.jpg
    Cant get it upright for some reason..apologies for that. Could someone let me know how to post a pic properly?? thanks

Les Paul Forum Member

I adore your Bavarian Makeover Goldtop! It is gorgeous!

thank you for your comment and for adjusting the picture, much appreciated!

No picture updates at the moment. Florian is currently going over all his work up until now, fine-tuning here and there. Once the process of re-finishing of the instrument begins all the previous makeover improvements are set and can't be altered. I collected all your kind suggestions for finishing the top and the back and will discuss them with Florian in due course.

I vote all gold- front and back