• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bavarian Makeover II 1956 Historic Reissue by jaegerguitars

fakejake

Thanks! :salude
I also see that the old finish already has some checking going on next to the control knobs. If that happened naturally then that's quite rare.

ununtrium

IIRC, the checking around the controls started after the pots had been changed. The other checking just ...happened.

:jim

ununtrium

The fretboard has been removed!

oKFmQ0y.jpg

nQ6Yqij.jpg

I wonder what the truss rod looks like. Does it have the "condom", too?

I also make out the two grommets for positioning the fretboard, when the guitar was put together in the factory.

goldtop0

Ditto x 4...............that is unless you're a big Dick Dale surf fan:hmm

I'm a big fan of P90s and look forward to the end result:2cool

RocknRollShakeUp

Thanks for sharing your Bavarian Makeover!

Guys, if one wanted a change in the bridge height, especially if it was an R4, for example, would a neck reset be worth it at that point?

Hamerfan

The neck reset to a higher pitch changes the tone, when you use a stop tailpiece. You get a brighter tone and little more sustain. But the OP uses a bigsby with a roll. Then and if you dont want a tone change, it is wasted time and money.

Victory Pete

The neck reset to a higher pitch changes the tone, when you use a stop tailpiece. You get a brighter tone and little more sustain. But the OP uses a bigsby with a roll. Then and if you dont want a tone change, it is wasted time and money.

Can you explain why? I know the greater the break angle over the bridge may change tone and sustain, I keep my stop bar all the way down for this. But does just the neck angle in itself change tone and sustain?

ununtrium

I hope everyone found some rest and relaxation during the Easter holidays despite the surreal and horrific circumstances. Stay safe!

Now - judging from previous makeover thread discussions - we have come to one of the more controversial sections in a makeover thread...

Before you peruse the pictures, please note that I already discussed the pictures with Florian who was very happy to make the time and answer my questions in great detail. The gap you can see in the pictures has, in all likelihood, been there since the time the guitar was put together, the "tolerances" in the production of the neckpiece allowing for a faster and easier assembly, ensuring that everything aligned properly quickly etc. Other causes, e.g. that the gap has formed over time, are theoretically possible but very unlikely. The gap had not been filled with glue or else.

Please note, however, that the gap was not created by the removal of the fretboard!

93iilfI.jpg

7EhtTOE.jpg

CxaqJC0.jpg

The main question is what to do about it. Should (a) everything be left as it is now or (b) the gap be filled/removed using any particular material/method etc., or (c) the neck be reset altogether?

I think we can safely rule out (a) :) Something has to be done about the gap.

I am leaning towards (c) simply because these are THE two pieces of the guitar that have to fit perfectly. This is the most important connection in the instrument and to get this one completely right, I knew that a reset might be necessary. Actually, I am not really distressed by the fact that such a gap is there, because it gives me ample justification for a reset. If the fit between body and neck had been perfect, it would have been almost impossible to justify resetting the neck just in order to get the correct glue :rolleyes

(b) would be a lot more attractive, if the neck had already been set with hide glue. Since that is not the case and having a makeover done is rather an all-or-nothing proposal to me (it just feels right this way), I believe (c) to be the option that stays true to the whole vibe of the project the most. :jim

AA00475Bassman

I assume you played the guitar before this project how much did this gap impede tone & sustain ? Would this gap be as hindering as the Bigsby ? I struggle with hearing the difference in my Titebond guitars VS my hide glue .

lare65

Yes go with c). Knowing the gap is there, or have been filled with something would make me focus on that wrong things while playing.

KR1

c) simply due to the scale of the work that is available at this point..

Each to their own, but I would never take a project his far, unveil a deviation from the desired result, and then not fix it.

Arnold M.

I would fill the gap with glue and call it a day, however it's your money so have fun:salude

ununtrium

Many thanks for your feedback thus far!

I believe, KR1 hit it home with the statement below. That is my sentiment exactly. Because of this I am not dealing in absolutes. Every discussion about a decision to be made at any given time will be an open-ended one (so, yes: the jury is still out on whether to keep that B7 or not; I now realize that a Bigsby might be more closely related to Marmite than I thought...:salude).

One step at a time.

c) simply due to the scale of the work that is available at this point..

Each to their own, but I would never take a project his far, unveil a deviation from the desired result, and then not fix it.

...speaking or Marmite, I'm off to breakfast. :eek:la

Have a nice weekend, everyone!