• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bavarian Makeover II 1956 Historic Reissue by jaegerguitars

ununtrium

...the fine-tuning is done...

cFzqWHq.jpg

nJWdqBw.jpg

...now the board is set for work on the finish...

Tarcisioo

Those frets look like the biggest I've ever seen, no kidding. Your grandsons probably won't have to refret this guitar in their lifetime :laugh2:

As color, all gold looks really nice but I guess I would go with a goldtop/darkback, as I know gold color takes a lot of layers and I wouldn't want a thick finish all over the guitar (specially the neck). Regular brown backs are cool too

Sunburst would be the easiest choice, but the less interesting one IMO, as it's been done all the time. I think to get the gold right is much harder than to get the sunburst right, so if my guitar was in the hands of a master, I would like him to do master's stuff lol

ununtrium

After much thought and a succinct discussion with the master, we decided that the instrument be a Goldtop with a darkback finish, as you would have come across it in late ´56 or very early ´57, just before Gibson switched from P-90s to Humbuckers.

Getting the mixture right for such a finish is pretty much like looking for the formula of a widely-known soft drink...but Florian's got it! We don't want to go opaque; instead the grain will still shine through. Together with the Jaeger vintage-formula Goldtop, it should look absolutely stunning! Also, please note the yet-again expertly plugged holes from the previously installed Bigsby. They will have become hardly recognizable later, when the darkback finish is applied.

YWtyZMR.jpg

...applying the pore filler is hard work...

MNmzXNt.jpg

t7EDQQg.jpg

N.B.: What you see in these pictures is by no means the end result. There is a lot more work to come!

Kns0s4I.jpg

...the beautiful black in the pores gives the mahogany that pleasing three-dimensional appearance!

c5o0qQB.jpg

Last edited:

ununtrium

...the first clear coat has been applied to the dark filler...

cRLukr0.jpg

...tinted laquer is used to achieve just the right hue of dark chocolate brown...

BDT7LcU.jpg

fCFaQJi.jpg

...the depth and warmth of the darkback will be further enhanced by additional ambered clear coats...

0fXuifs.jpg

Pip

Loving this thread and anticipating the final reveal.

fakejake

Looks great so far! Have you decided on the amount and type of relicing you want? Any greening of the gold lacquer?

rockabilly69

...the first clear coat has been applied to the dark filler...

cRLukr0.jpg

...tinted laquer is used to achieve just the right hue of dark chocolate brown...

BDT7LcU.jpg

fCFaQJi.jpg

...the depth and warmth of the darkback will be further enhanced by additional ambered clear coats...

0fXuifs.jpg

I hope it doesn't get any darker, because IMO that is about the perfect dark back color! It's turning out great so far!

ununtrium

Florian and I have not discussed the relicing of the guitar yet. Greening is definitely on the table as are several other options.

At the moment I am collecting sample pictures of vintage goldtops to get some ideas, but I try to keep my mind open as much as possible.

Anything between a lightly aged attic find and a complete mutt is possible, though both of these extremes are rather unlikely. Something in between.

Looks great so far! Have you decided on the amount and type of relicing you want? Any greening of the gold lacquer?

ununtrium

Many thanks for your very kind feedback. I am absolutely chuffed by Florian's dark back, too. The color is coming out exactly the way I am wishing it to. It is not completely finished yet, but it won't get any darker in any event.

The first sealing coat has been applied to the maple cap. We are coming ever closer to the Jaeger Gold Top...

QWRg9Se.jpg

Base6

Florian and I have not discussed the relicing of the guitar yet. Greening is definitely on the table as are several other options.

At the moment I am collecting sample pictures of vintage goldtops to get some ideas, but I try to keep my mind open as much as possible.

Anything between a lightly aged attic find and a complete mutt is possible, though both of these extremes are rather unlikely. Something in between.

I have a real one from ‘57 with P90s. If you care for specific pictures. PM me and I’ll see what I can do for you.

Thanks for sharing. Grusse, Michiel

ununtrium

Florian is currently applying multiple layers of the bronze powder procured from the very same company that supplied Gibson in the 1950s. They still produce the bronze powder following the formula unaltered. This application happens in multiple stages to achieve depth and lusciousness.

...the first layer...

XS2hgbz.jpg

...the second layer...

vx4mkVX.jpg

...the third layer...

fatZ8xp.jpg

...and the fourth layer; you can see how these different layers come together to form a warm, deep, and above all mesmerising gold top by themselves already.

SAdgYFR.jpg

The next step involves vintage-formula clear coating; here is the first one applied...

3q0caYD.jpg

The gold top you see now is still a work-in-progress.There is still some ambering to be done to get the tone of the finish just right. It is the first time that Florian shares the documentation of these individual steps with the public.

All the work during this project that went before showcases Florian's craftsmanship. The application of the finish of a Vintage Gold Top, however, is not so much the work of the craftsman, but rather of the artist.

Last edited: