• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Bavarian Makeover II 1956 Historic Reissue by jaegerguitars

Victory Pete

If you are going to use a Vibra-Mate Bigsby plate to mount a Bigsby have Florian install some dome top thumbwheels and the Bigsby will hold tune better...

https://www.ebay.com/i/143466469360...MIwMudtJCv6QIV6B-tBh2kTQOKEAYYASABEgKyNPD_BwE

I ordered a set a month ago and they cancelled the order due to the current pandemic. I have been using the stock bridge on my RO and it has stayed in tune fairly well if I just use the Bigbsy mildly, which is my preferred use anyway. I do notice the bridge moving the threaded posts back and forth. I wonder about work hardening and the posts breaking someday.

rockabilly69

I ordered a set a month ago and they cancelled the order due to the current pandemic. I have been using the stock bridge on my RO and it has stayed in tune fairly well if I just use the Bigbsy mildly, which is my preferred use anyway. I do notice the bridge moving the threaded posts back and forth. I wonder about work hardening and the posts breaking someday.
I saw this set on ebay today so I wondered if they started shipping.

ununtrium

Time passes by fast when you're having fun!

Now the reshaping of the neck is on the agenda. The neck in its original state comes pretty close to a typical vintage 50's neck profile already, as Florian pointed out to me. The reshaping, however, was something I would definitely not pass up!

First, Florian removes the shoulders with a spokeshave, keeping the original thickness of the neck:

nsYN3aR.jpg

The resulting rough patches of the neck are being eliminated using a VERY fine rasp. It was my wish that the neck profile receive a very soft V-shape, while retaining all of the original thickness. Florian was, as always, most obliging and stated after completing the task that the neck will be "irresistable". I doubt it not!

ibRuyLU.jpg

The final sanding is done neck upwards by hand, the master's hand being the "natural/organic template".

1qpJv8R.jpg

The guitar player of taste will now find that this neck is - as someone once put it - "unputdownable" :hank

Zki0CeY.jpg

The base of the head was cnc-routed in the factory, leaving hard edges...

QjlHqjX.jpg

...that are not pleasing to the player's hand.

S3XuDEk.jpg

This area is being meticulously sanded to get a smoother feel.

9c1vfz2.jpg

With this painstaking attention to detail you end up with a neck just like the old ones (or even better at that...)!

6RM2wyd.jpg

Last edited:

ununtrium

During a project Florian constantly revisits certain stages of the makeover, refines and intensifies his work, where necessary or applicable. In this case, the recarving of the maple top was gone over and considerably intensified. I am very happy with this more vigorous recarve, indeed! This is what you get when you take the time, take a step back, and approach a project aspect again. I wonder if Gibson does this...I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did!

bNqIrcv.jpg

gfPboMB.jpg

PTkWwsn.jpg

Uil75nh.jpg

ZqgmzaX.jpg

Victory Pete

During a project Florian constantly revisits certain stages of the makeover, refines and intensifies his work, where necessary or applicable. In this case, the recarving of the maple top was gone over and considerably intensified. I am very happy with this more vigorous recarve, indeed! This is what you get when you take the time, take a step back, and approach a project aspect again. I wonder if Gibson does this...I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did!

bNqIrcv.jpg

gfPboMB.jpg

PTkWwsn.jpg

Uil75nh.jpg

ZqgmzaX.jpg
[/QUOTE
Looks good. That cant be easy to establish such precise contours. Especially considering you dont start to really see the contour until it shines a few stages later

ununtrium

Here is some additional makeover sustenance to carry you into the weekend...

4pwSvag.jpg

KxoiGLd.jpg

4HVmD39.jpg

XfcWKHc.jpg

Stay safe and keep looking after each other! :salude

ununtrium

Before...

ccz35az.jpg

...during...

dTCmbP7.jpg

...and after the logo relocation.

rPlfF99.jpg

Florian fixed the ungainly ding at the upper right hand corner of the head stock, too!

Steve Craw

Formerly Lefty Elmo
Looks great! I had a makeover done by Gord Miller ten years ago. It was paramount to move the logo to the vintage-correct location, and a small detail that makes a big difference. Good move!

Shokry

Looks great! I had a makeover done by Gord Miller ten years ago. It was paramount to move the logo to the vintage-correct location, and a small detail that makes a big difference. Good move!

I agree 100%... makeovers are all about small details that add up to make the guitar really come alive. I’ve had a Bavarian Makeover For my 54’ reissue a couple of years back and It’s all about these small details. And since you went through the whole process and sent your guitar to Florian might as well make the best out of it... definitely worth it! 👍🏼 Come to think of it.. any small detail Florian recommends he does for good reason..

rockabilly69

I agree 100%... makeovers are all about small details that add up to make the guitar really come alive. I’ve had a Bavarian Makeover For my 54’ reissue a couple of years back and It’s all about these small details. And since you went through the whole process and sent your guitar to Florian might as well make the best out of it... definitely worth it! 👍🏼 Come to think of it.. any small detail Florian recommends he does for good reason..

Got any pictures of your completed R4?

ununtrium

The magic of the heating iron...

...before

GIgs1jS.jpg

5znFLl7.jpg

...and after...

P.S.: Florian plugged the Bigsby holes in the top just like he plugged the stud hole previously. He also re-installed the bone nut, as in his (and my) opinion bone is a nut material second to none. Its handling and tonal qualities are just what we want. However, it was necessary to adapt it to the new fretboard etc., which required some intricate handiwork.

P.P.S.: The original factory-installed nut was so horrible that it made the guitar unplayable. I had bought the guitar without inspecting it first-hand and I was disappointed when I received it, to say the least! I was on the brink of letting it go, but, fortunately, took it to a local luthier first. After inspecting it he convinced me to keep it and installed the bone nut, did some additional fretwork that should not have been necessary (factory fretwork was horrific in places, too...) and voila - there was my keeper R6! To be clear, the original owner hardly played it and had no luthier do any work on it.

Last edited:

ununtrium

No picture updates at the moment. Florian is currently going over all his work up until now, fine-tuning here and there. Once the process of re-finishing of the instrument begins all the previous makeover improvements are set and can't be altered. I collected all your kind suggestions for finishing the top and the back and will discuss them with Florian in due course.

:salude