• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Valuable information to consider when evaluating the authenticity of a vintage burst

Zapper

Hi again everyone! I've just noticed that just about all the pics I posted of my (ex..!) "Burst" have been removed. Anyone know why? Is it a file space issue? I'll try to repost, or set up links to another site (eg photobucket or Facebook).

Cheers
Ian

agogetr

Re: Restoring my 1960 'Burst... need HELP..!! :)

0-8065 here...double ringer.

I've been looking at those tuners and wondering if you can tell if they've been re-buttoned? They look really white/clean! Mine are yellowed.
ditto. my 60 is later than yours, double ringer. the original keys are brown and crumbled to pieces in a baggy in the case pocket.
ironically a lot of my fifties guitars keys seemed to all cut loose around 90 91 especially on the juniors/specials. like they were all timed to crumble at the same time!

agogetr

Different business.. Albert Molinaro is a legend and his guitars are very real.

:salude
my first trip to LA around 89 to try to sell some old guitars i met all the dealers around hollywood. Albert was really a solid good nice dude. he was nice to the hick with the plaid shirt and straw sticking out of his mouth haha. when i went to leave his shop he actually walked me out to the sidewalk and pointed to a street. he said 'see that street?' whatever you do dont go up that street if you want to get out of here alive. he said 'that goes to east LA'
man selling guitars in hollywood was trippy. i slept for 2 days when i got home . beleive it or not guitar center was the strong buyer. if i remember right i met dave belzer there. he sent my switchmaster upstairs to some mystery dude to check out the p'a'f's etc

Zapper

my first trip to LA around 89 to try to sell some old guitars i met all the dealers around hollywood. Albert was really a solid good nice dude. he was nice to the hick with the plaid shirt and straw sticking out of his mouth haha. when i went to leave his shop he actually walked me out to the sidewalk and pointed to a street. he said 'see that street?' whatever you do dont go up that street if you want to get out of here alive. he said 'that goes to east LA'
man selling guitars in hollywood was trippy. i slept for 2 days when i got home . beleive it or not guitar center was the strong buyer. if i remember right i met dave belzer there. he sent my switchmaster upstairs to some mystery dude to check out the p'a'f's etc

Hi agogetr, a couple of great posts/reminiscences there, thanks! Is the serial no of your '60 a 2 or a 7? Sounds like it could have been one of the last 'Bursts.. :)

Ted Nugent

As far as I am aware ALL Customs have mahogany necks. In fact the early Customs had mahogany bodies too..! The new ones still have mahogany necks. Did they change them for a period in the '70s then??

All Les Pauls, with the exception of the reissue 55 Special and the Heritage series, changed from mahogany necks to maple necks in 1975. They went back to mahogany in 1983. All Customs have mahogany bodies but from 68 they had maple caps.

Last edited:

Zapper

All Les Pauls, with the exception of the reissue 55 Special and the Heritage series, changed from mahogany necks to maple necks in 1975. They went back to mahogany in 1983. All Customs have mahogany bodies but from 68 they had maple caps.

Thats interesting... thanks Ted. :salude

Patek

Hi Zappa
why are you selling the LP conversion you just bought? It was one of the best looking LP 59 conversions I’ve ever seen. What happened ?

Zapper

Hi Zappa
why are you selling the LP conversion you just bought? It was one of the best looking LP 59 conversions I’ve ever seen. What happened ?

I agree Patek... it's absolutely stunning, and plays & sounds beautiful too...! But I just can't get on with the chunky '50s neck..! My poor little fingers can hardly get round it, meaning I hardly ever play it... Also, I'm currently in the process of buying a new flat so the £20k or so it's worth would come in very handy towards the deposit...

Anyone interested? If so, please drop me a line..! Ta! :salude

ps. here it is with my '74 Standard... I assume I don't need to say which is which LOL...! :hee

123296524_3564478330240201_5074144698642707003_n.jpg

Zapper

Hard to say from these images for me, but the placement of the headstock logo and the the colour of the inlays, fretboard, and tuners dont look very convincing.... :wah

I agree fakejake... difficult to tell from the pics, but the decal does look a bit high for an early '50s guitar... Maybe that's why there are no close-ups of it....

Patek

I agree Patek... it's absolutely stunning, and plays & sounds beautiful too...! But I just can't get on with the chunky '50s neck..! My poor little fingers can hardly get round it, meaning I hardly ever play it... Also, I'm currently in the process of buying a new flat so the £20k or so it's worth would come in very handy towards the deposit...

Anyone interested? If so, please drop me a line..! Ta! :salude

ps. here it is with my '74 Standard... I assume I don't need to say which is which LOL...! :hee

123296524_3564478330240201_5074144698642707003_n.jpg

Are you selling it for what you paid Yuki to break even or trying to make a bit of margin on it?

If I had the money I’d buy it, wanted it then and still want it now 😭 like you also redecorating my house

Zapper

Are you selling it for what you paid Yuki to break even or trying to make a bit of margin on it?

If I had the money I’d buy it, wanted it then and still want it now 😭 like you also redecorating my house

Paid Yuuki a little less than that but then I took the risk of effectively buying it before I'd seen it as he built it to my specifications, eg to put pickup covers on it and to move the logo (although he eventually talked me out of the latter LOL..!). I also had a 5 hour round trip drive to collect it.

In fact had I played it before buying I might not have bought it at all coz, although it's a beautiful & superb conversion, I just can't get used to the chunky neck having played modern Les Pauls for so long...

Whatever happens though Patek I'll give you first refusal on it... In fact, make me an offer if you like and I'll consider it. It would be nice for it to go to a good home! I haven't advertised it yet although Richard H is keeping an eye out for me for a buyer...

Cheers!
Ian

131402578_3684219638266069_1244013635808826206_n.jpg

131120696_3684219648266068_3005154976422718375_n.jpg

Ted Nugent

As a matter of interest, does anyone think this is ALSO a fake...? From the same seller...? :hmm

https://elitevintageguitars.com/gibson-models/les-paul-models/gibson-les-paul-standard-1953/

If it’s coming from Gareth Ayers, then it would be fair to assume so, especially considering J@S’s earlier post below suggests multiple fakes.

I suspect the fake ‘1958 Les Paul’ on eBay may be its ‘big sister’ also? It has numerous similarities with the fake 60 you bought. BTW, Do we know what happened to the guitar you had?.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184564340496

Here’s another couple fake ‘50s Les Pauls Gareth Ayers has on his FB:

31959yG.jpg

5NN0IE9.jpg

Last edited:

Zapper

If it’s coming from Gareth Ayers, then it would be fair to assume so, especially considering J@S’s earlier post below suggests multiple fakes.

I suspect the fake ‘1958 Les Paul’ on eBay may be its ‘big sister’ also? It has numerous similarities with the fake 60 you bought. BTW, Do we know what happened to the guitar you had?.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184564340496

As far as I know The Nile fakeburst has gone underground lol...! No sight of it on https://elitevintageguitars.com/ or on any auction/other sites I have seen.... Probably waiting for the next mug/'mark' to come along...! :##

Zapper

BTW, congratulations on the thread that would not die.

LOL, thanks! I noticed recently that the thread has the most replies (955) and most views (76750) in the Vintage 1952-1960 forum...
Well done everyone..! :hank:salude:peace2:)

Zapper

LOL, thanks! I noticed recently that the thread has the most replies (955) and most views (76750) in the Vintage 1952-1960 forum...
Well done everyone..! :hank:salude:peace2:)

Ooops.... no it hasn't..! Just came across the Black Beauty thread with a wopping 213600 views and 994 replies...! Oh well, maybe one day..! :##:)

agogetr

Yeah, well... We're Americans, and we pretty much just say whatever the fuck we feel like sayin'... Freedom is a wonderful thing... :salude

Being armed to the teeth doesn't hurt either... :rofl
your transparency is very refreshing

agogetr

if i sold a fake burst i would have an exotic car too! but i would have to park it in the garage of my 900 sq ft. bungalow like the OP.
and when i was getting caught i could get away in the car just like the OP has threatened to do.