• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Valuable information to consider when evaluating the authenticity of a vintage burst

Jumping@Shadows

Re: Restoring my 1960 'Burst... need HELP..!! :)

You can find some more info on Facebook: Vintage Gibson Guitars. There's a post from Gareth, with video...

View attachment 11406
View attachment 11407

Here’s the headstock on the above ‘56 Les Paul’ next to the ‘60 Les Paul’ :hmm

edgwzw8.jpg

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

Ideally Ian would return the guitar and get reimbursed for what he paid for it, however that works out (guitars returned, cash, whatever).

Regardless, with no insinuations or ill intent, I hope it stays on that side of the pond. :)

Agreed. :)

JJ Blair

Here’s the headstock on the above ‘56 Les Paul’ next to the ‘60 Les Paul’ :hmm

edgwzw8.jpg

Well, not only has by been refined or oversprayed, some amateur wet sanded the edges, and burned through the black. I learned that lesson on the first Gibson I ever finished. What ass clown is butchering these poor guitars? Looks like my first attempt at razor checking, too.

I'm not going to state it, because of all you guys paranoid that we are giving away too much info to fakers, but there is always a very easy tell if a headstock is monkey'd with or not. It's a very, very easy spot, that I never see people talk about. If I don't see it, 99% of the time, it's been messed with.

Last edited:

surfreak

Who am I? I am someone who was made aware of this guitar when it was doing the rounds last year when a certain individual was attempting to get the guitar authenticated as the real deal. With no success I might add. It appears you can’t even buy a letter of authenticity in the U.K.

Oh come on. What happened to the loincloth wearin’, Byrdland slingin’ legend who would only eat things that have parents? We want you back!

S. Weiger

Nullius in verba.. Let the guitar tell it's history ..in this case from a few more or less crappy pics.
But I bet this guitar never saw or heard about Theodore Milson McCarty, John Huis, Larry Allers et al.

Happy easter all :salude

Ted Nugent

Are you still ‘agreed’ with the following, being a keeper of the ‘secrets’ of the Mueller inner circle that even the young apprentice wasn’t entrusted with, or has Gary managed to convince you otherwise?

Terry did , of course, see the truss rod photos. He wanted you [and everyone else] to know that after seeing those, he is now 110% sure this Burst is real.
He explained why but I won't reveal the secrets [that he wouldn't even share with Ganzler years ago]. Some details need to be kept secret to hold the forgers accountable.

So, I still believe Terry's evaluation on this guitar that it is a reworked, real Burst.

How ironic that the guys who want to keep the ‘secrets’ that ‘keep the forgers accountable’ are using the same old tactics Ganzler used in an attempt to publicly legitimise this guitar?

JBLPplayer

Ian, If it were me and had the opportunity to get out of that guitar I would take the money and go to the OTB or play the lottery. That is a gift from the guitar collecting heavens.
The deal with sunburst Les Pauls is that there is no Deal.. The authentic ones command big money and are rarely sold at a deep discount. Aka if its too good to be true 99 percent of the times it generally is, like it is in this case. I hope it works out for you. You seem like you got caught up in something that was a bit over your head.
Stay Healthy. :salude

Certainly not too entertaining for me at the moment though.... We're 5-4 down in the penalty shoot-out and I'm up next to face De Gea... :dang

Agree though that JJ gets Man of the Match... some superb technical skill in the box, and he's been running all over the pitch like a 17 yr old Rooney on speed..!

Full-time whistle due any time soon..... :dang

S. Weiger

Ian, If it were me and had the opportunity to get out of that guitar I would take the money and go to the OTB or play the lottery. That is a gift from the guitar collecting heavens.
The deal with sunburst Les Pauls is that there is no Deal.. The authentic ones command big money and are rarely sold at a deep discount. Aka if its too good to be true 99 percent of the times it generally is, like it is in this case. I hope it works out for you. You seem like you got caught up in something that was a bit over your head.

As others have suggested, only decent way to get rid of it is to get a refund with the seller, right?
might not be so easy.. :hmm

JJ Blair

Come on, Joe. We all know that if there's a deal, you beat us all to it!

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass

I dub this thread the Long Good Friday...

goldtop0

It's been an interesting run and sure was 'the' topic of interest in these lockdown dreary days.........let's hope there's no resurrection of this thread anytime soon though.

Happy Easter everyone and stay well, all of you.

Cheers,
Steve

garywright

that was probably an auto-correct error ..replacing the word favorite with former :note

J.D.

Last edited: