The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member MeHereNow's Avatar

Boost pedals, which one do you play?

I'm considering a dedicated boost pedal to add on my board.
    I use a RYRA Klone now as a boost, but realised i like it better as a low gain OD.
    Had or used: MXR/CAE mc 401, MXR Micro amp, Timmy at boost setting, OCD 1.4 as a "dirty" boost (which is great for!).
    So i wonder what you guys use as a "just louder not gainier" boost, and if possible pro's & cons and type of amp you use it for.
    I play an '82 Marshall 50w MV vertical input into the Low input mostly with the preamp dimed (or eleventh)
    Thnx in advance!
    Get my money, buy my medicine...

Re: Boost pedals, which one do you play?

I use either the Exotic EP boost, or the Source Audio EQ pedal. Both are great.
    The EP boost is really small and simple. Not many options, but it always sounds great. I leave in on all the time.

The Source Audio I use with my Fenders, in order to both increase to volume to the levels my Gibsons are, and to add some mids. It has several saveable presets which is great.
    I use them in from of small Fender amps (Vibroluxe, Deluxe, Princeton).

I'm not a pedal guy but the only one I use is the Xotic EP booster...........does what I want so well.

Which "ONE"? on my big board, I use three..... An Xotic RC Booster is the first pedal my guitar signal goes into. it adds a subtle effect similar to pressing the "loudness" button on your stereo. It's on all the time. Then, into a more recent Timmy pedal for mild crunch. Then, on into a second (earlier) Timmy for when going nuclear is called for. Finally, on to a Moen looper/switcher and through myriad time based effects. These days, my pedal board is larger and considerably heavier than the amplifier. Somehow, I find this a source of embarrassment, not sure why.

Gotta admit, however, for a pick-up jam, I'm just as happy with an LP or Tele and cord straight into a tweed deluxe.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Edit : Oops, overlooked the "louder, not gainier" part. I'd think the EP booster would be swell there. In my setup, if the guitar's not dimed, the first Timmy never really goes into gainy distortion. I'm happy with the small amount of grit it adds with the boost.
    Last edited by BurstWurst; 04-03-20 at 05:56 AM.

For pure volume and no change in tone the BBE grande boost is a great option and cheap

Les Paul Forum Member Texas Blues's Avatar

MXR Micro Amp.

I don't use it much.

But its nice to have around.

I use a Klon Centaur (with the gain all the way off) or an Analogman Beano Boost.
    Guitars: '56 Les Paul Custom, '63 SG/LP Custom, '61 Jazzmaster, '43 000-28, '15 ES-345,
    Amps: Matchless Lightning, Zvex Nano amp
    Pedals: Centaur, BJFE, Analogman, Zvex, Maxon, etc.

Les Paul Forum Member 65Firebird's Avatar

These days I use an MJM Dallas boost, back in the '80's I used a Boss GE7 graphic equalizer for a boost when soloing.

Les Paul Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MeHereNow View Post
    I'm considering a dedicated boost pedal to add on my board.
    I use a RYRA Klone now as a boost, but realised i like it better as a low gain OD.
    Had or used: MXR/CAE mc 401, MXR Micro amp, Timmy at boost setting, OCD 1.4 as a "dirty" boost (which is great for!).
    So i wonder what you guys use as a "just louder not gainier" boost, and if possible pro's & cons and type of amp you use it for.
    I play an '82 Marshall 50w MV vertical input into the Low input mostly with the preamp dimed (or eleventh)
    Thnx in advance!
    Do you play solo or with a band? Is the objective to have louder volume for solos and cut through the mix? If so, I would simply use and EQ pedal. It won’t be louder but your parts will jump out and be heard. A boost will simply amplify an already dirty sound and not work. If you’re just jamming alone then maybe a boost type pedal would sound good, as the EQ will sound harsh.

hope this helps!

Les Paul Forum Member

As your playing with your preamp gain maxed out your signal will be very compressed. Lifting your volume from here may best be done by selecting the frequencies that cut through the mix. A 7 band eq can do this, as already mentioned. A Treble Booster is another option I'd suggest as they work so well with an already high gain sound.

If your not into the treble booster tone, and your Marshall has an effects loop you could use any of the great pedals suggested by other posters and bypass your preamp completely and go into the effects return and lift your volume from there.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by zhivago View Post
    I use a Klon Centaur (with the gain all the way off) or an Analogman Beano Boost.
    I wonder why Mike calls it a "Beano Boost" since there wasn't a Rangemaster used on that record. It was all amp & Les Paul. Before they passed I talked to a couple of guys who were in the studio when that album was being recorded. Their answers were always "No pedals" in Clapton's rig.. it was Guitar, cable & Amp period!

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I wonder why Mike calls it a "Beano Boost" since there wasn't a Rangemaster used on that record. It was all amp & Les Paul. Before they passed I talked to a couple of guys who were in the studio when that album was being recorded. Their answers were always "No pedals" in Clapton's rig.. it was Guitar, cable & Amp period!

In a word.......Marketing..........the way of the world.........for better or for worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TM1 View Post
    I think Mikes been making these for like 20 years back in the infancy of the internet etc. Back when little to no information was available.
    He probably heard in a guitar magazine or from hearsay from a customer and just acted on it.
    Prob never thought he’d be making more than a few at the time.
    Once production picked up the pedal had prob established itself and to re-name it... he prob thought wasn’t worth it. Whether used or not ( and I agree with you )I’ve heard some people think it can help achieve that sound at lower volume levels. I’ve got one and .. well I don’t think so. Great pedal though

nice to see you on here TM1! Haven’t visited the Roadhouse for a while I’ll have to pop on over and see Surf and Al etc
    Last edited by The Doc Holliday; 04-09-20 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Missed text