• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul players who made wrong turn...

viper007

As the title say, Les Paul players who made the wrong turn in their careers according to your opinion...

I begin, John Sykes, which i really like!!

Could have been one of the greatest but now have a career in silence.

Pity!

[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]

Last edited:

Aloha_Ark

Well, who else but ... Paul Reed Smith. He grew up loving Les Pauls, and he ends up creating super expensive guitars very few people can afford. Then he preys on the insecurity of some (good) artists who need adulation and TLC. PRS's latest catch was John Mayer, the world's greatest overthinker.

Paul, you should have stuck to playing Gibson and Fender.

thin sissy

As the title say, Les Paul players who made the wrong turn in their careers according to your opinion...

I begin, John Sykes, which i really like!!

Could have been one of the greatest but now have a career in silence.

Pity!

[url=https://postimages.org/][/URL]
Great timing, I was thinking about this very thing about Sykes just the other day! It seems with his style, skill and history with Thin Lizzy and Whitesnake, he should have had a huge career. I wonder what happened :hmm

johnnyslim

Just my opinion...David Coverdale is what happened. I did see Thin Lizzy with Sykes, Gorham, Marco Mendoza and Tommy Aldridge at a very small bar in Dallas called The Galaxy Club. They left that bar in ruins! I also saw Whitesnake with Vivian Campbell and Vandenburg in Texas. Good but, as good as Vivian Campbell is...no comparison to Sykes.

fakejake

aa3f63095a91bf407a6571087a68cfa9.jpg

Mick Taylor. It seems he could have tried harder to clean up and to stay with the Stones.
IMO that would have been better for him AND the Stones. Nevermind that new guy on guitar they hired after him...

Bob Womack

That Eric guy. Look what he's spent the rest of his life holding.

Eric_Clapton_01May2015.jpg

Bob

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Jimmy Page took a wrong turn in the early '80s, but eventually found his way back home:

(To be fair, some of the B-Bender stuff was quite interesting, and I don't blame him for wanting to put some distance between Led Zeppelin and the guitar that he was chiefly associated with during the 1970s.)

Bob Womack

As much as I love EC , I sure miss his Gibson Les Paul into a Marshall sound !
I respect the heck out of his work but don't much enjoy his Strat sound. I really like the Strat sounds of some others such Ted Turner of early Wishbone Ash, Joe Walsh, James Calvin Wilsey (RIP), etc.

Bob