• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Les Paul Classic Wiring Harness Replacement

PBC

Hello Everyone, hope all are healthy today. I was hoping to get any recommendations on wiring harness replacements for my 2000 les paul classic. I currently have a set of Sheptone Blue Sky pickups on the way for it and the stock wiring harness is still in place. Does anyone have a wiring harness they feel can really improve the tone or bring out the sound of the Sheptone's or best to just leave the stock harness in there?

PaulD

The only way a wiring harness can change the tone is if it uses different value pots and/or different value capacitors (not different type of capacitors) to those that are there already.

WytLytnyn

The only way a wiring harness can change the tone is if it uses different value pots and/or different value capacitors (not different type of capacitors) to those that are there already.

+1 Also be aware of the different taper behaviors of the more "vintagey" pots as well as the amount of treble rolloff at different levels vs. the lower spec 300k pots you got from the factory.

Highly recommend Jackson Electronic Luthier's different options for wiring harnesses on Reverb. I have two of his harnesses in my Les Pauls.

In particular, I went with 525k pots and orange caps with a set of P-90's. Extremely dynamic response to volume changes and very little treble rolloff as you rollback the dials. Alot of clarity at lower vol and tone levels vs the 300k pots that they replaced.