• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Different Neck Angles?

Sol

I've heard of this, and have seen the demo of 58, 59, and 60 bursts. It really caught my attention as I'd never heard of this feature in guitars from this period.

This is anecdotal, but I spent a few yrs before finding the historic I'd been looking and listening for, its an R7 from 2004, and whether by chance or design the neck angle was slightly shallower than the R9s I'd auditioned.
The guitar is acoustically vibrant and clear, and feels alive in my hands. Good dynamics, less forgiving with a faster response than is typical.

I know these qualities are somewhat universal to an extent but if there are differences it might be interesting to discuss them in light of the videos you posted ?

How would you describe your R0?

You mentioned 'aggressive' and 'snap crackle, and pop'?

Last edited:

sws1

While it's true that neck angles changed between the early 50s (low angle) and late 50s (higher angle), any differences between 58, 59, and 60 were because they all varied. (As did neck sizes.) The big neck angle shift happened somewhere in the mid 50s. ('53 I think). After that, they all varied.

As for the reissues, Gibson does NOT have different neck angles for their guitars. All the same. Same people. Same assembly line. Same process. Only difference is the choice of wood and the price tag.

Victory Pete

While it's true that neck angles changed between the early 50s (low angle) and late 50s (higher angle), any differences between 58, 59, and 60 were because they all varied. (As did neck sizes.) The big neck angle shift happened somewhere in the mid 50s. ('53 I think). After that, they all varied.

As for the reissues, Gibson does NOT have different neck angles for their guitars. All the same. Same people. Same assembly line. Same process. Only difference is the choice of wood and the price tag.

Are you sure of the neck angles only varying from 58-60? Also are you sure Historics dont have different neck angles?

Sol

If the change in Historic neck pitch is by design, it's a detail not mentioned by Gibson in anything I've read. It does not mean it isn't being done, just that I'm not aware of it.

Victory Pete

Neck Thickness?

In this video the Chap suggests the 60's slim neck has a brighter sound with immediate attack compared to 58 and 59, but he is saying it is due to the thickness. I have many Gibson electrics all with 60's slim taper, so it is nothing new to me. We may be getting somewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n81Bnj7eqwE