• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Burstbuckers are out - '07 CR8

Billy Hiwatt

I was getting bored with my Cloud 9 CR8, after getting a Collings City Limits. Hunkerin' down at home lately...more QT with my guitars. So I swapped out the BBkrs and put in Dimarzio 36th Anniv PAFs, worn nickel finish. Guess what? It smokes! Much livelier, full, balanced tones. My chambered LP now sounds stronger, brighter, punchier. A good decision that did not cost a lot of scratch. Not disappointed. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Sol

It's always a good day when you find a pickup set that perfectly compliments your guitar.. Congratulations!

Have you compared them in your Les Paul to pickups other than Burstbuckers?

I have two Dimarzio's that were apparently the base for the 36th Anniversary PAF set. The 'Virtual PAF' and the 'Virtual Hot PAF'. Sadly now discontinued.

One of the strengths of Dimarzio's I've found is how adaptable they can be in guitars other than just Les Paul's and ES335s for e.g.
The Virtual Hot PAF, was the clear winner in a S/S/H Super Strat type design. The single coils were wound to specs that would (hopefully) work with a 'bucker in the bridge position. After trying two other PAF types in the same range, it all came together with the Dimarzio. I was surprised but in a good way.

The concensus is that the 36th Anniversary set has really hit a new high point in PAF reproduction by Dimarzio, and at some point I'd like a set, to try out.
We don't talk that much about Dimarzio, so it's great to hear from you on these pups.

Billy Hiwatt

After getting in more Quality Time with, I'm convinced this was a good decision. Just to be clear, the neck p/u is the regular 36th, and in the bridge, is the 36th bridge version. The bridge p/u is especially bright! I like that, and the tone control is useful here. Both pickups also stay bright as you drop the volume knobs. The worn nickel covers are well done, and fits the vibe of the guitar. Now my LP sounds more lespaulish! Happier than a puppy with 2 peters!